2007 Tahoe LT Liftgate not unlocking / opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brad929rr

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe LT. The liftgate slowly stopped unlocking with the key fob over the course of a week. It is a manual liftgate. Does not have the power hinge. I was able to take the trim off and open the hatch manually. I took off the latch / actuator and put power to it with a battery it turns the motor inside. None of the fuses are blown and the other locks work properly. None of the wires show any ware of breaks. The actuator was not dirty and well greased. The window release does work with the key fob.

Any ideas?

Thank you

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by it turns the motor inside. . Manually latch the latch with a screwdriver then apply power see if it unlatches if not you have a bad actuator if it does look at the top of the lift gate with it open and pull back on the black weatherstrip boot to see if theres any broken wires

brad929rr

Reaction score
I purchased a new actuator to see if it was the problem. New one is not working either. There are no broken wires or worn wires. The hatch glass is still opening properly. New ideas?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you say that the the fuses are good.. your taking about the ones in the left side of I/P they would be the unlock 2 fuse 15amp and the LCK 2 fuse 15amp right? if they are good check to see if you have power at the the fuses with a test light while toggling the lock unlockdoor switches.. or is this only happening with the RKE if it is you probably have a bad RKE.. Need more info does it work with the door lock switch ?

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a relay for it. On my 3rd gen camaro it was located under the same trim as the actuator. That is probably what you want to check. If you have a voltmeter you can see where power is stopping

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relay is intergrated into the I/P fuse block its a printed circuit board relay that also controls the rear door locks and liftgate lock actuator but split off into individual circuits then are isolated with their own indivdual circuit protectors.. So in other words if it was the relay the rear door locks would be affected as well

Mr g

Reaction score
I know dead thread but

I had the same problem with my 07 LS and turned out just being a $10.00 switch on the handle. Works great now.

spduyck

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out?

Brad - I'm having the same problem. Did you ever figure this out?

coolis4me

Reaction score
Looks like I'm joining this club of the rear hatch window release not working! (I've got a 2010 Tahoe) Neither the onboard door button, or the fob button will pop that back window. I removed all the interior trim on the hatch to see what's going on; I checked the wiring between the body and the hatch, and checked all the fuses with everything testing good. I would like to try power to this release solenoid to see if it works, but I'm not sure what pins to try...there are 4 wires going to this thing, a pink/stripe one, 2 gray ones, and a light blue one (that goes over to the rear wiper motor) Could anybody guess what pins I should try?

Duster50

Reaction score
And here I am as well. My lift gate won't unlock, but the window latch still works. I see some good ideas in this thread, but first, is there any way to get the damned lift gate open to do the testing? I don't think I can even get to the switch itself to test/replace it without pulling the inner cover. I have an organizer in the back of the Tahoe, so even climbing in the back and working from there is not an option...

Help!!!

David