2007 Yukon Fog Light Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diggin' up an old thread to see how all of your fogs are doin'.

I saw some people talking about finding metallic / glass replacements for their Yukon. Any news on that?

Also, towards the end of this thread (in March), the McCaullaugh (spelling) HID kits were getting a bad rap. I thought they were OK? Any suggestions?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diggin' up an old thread to see how all of your fogs are doin'.

I saw some people talking about finding metallic / glass replacements for their Yukon. Any news on that?

Also, towards the end of this thread (in March), the McCaullaugh (spelling) HID kits were getting a bad rap. I thought they were OK? Any suggestions?

they are, their just not the same quality and NOT worth the price. I reccommend just getting HIDs from one of the vendors on here.

tracon

Reaction score
I put the $19.95 lights from Walmart in and have had no problems. They are much brighter that the stock lights. I took out the blue tinted bulbs and replaced with clear. They do not fit as tight as stock but that lets in the air to help keep them cool. Been very happy.

bmwman3241

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the Mcculloch HIDs for my high/low, fog, and backups since February, but have just installed them this week. My car has been at the dealer since then, so I have not had a chance to try them out. I will let you know how my 3 sets turn out. If you are buying a set now, I would recommend the ones Jeff sells. If I have even the smallest problem with my Mcculloch, I will swap them all out for his.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZERO problems in OE fog housings.

NO troubles whatsoever with my modded 9005 HIDs (kit from mikemjohnson) in the OE fog housings. NO thermal issues: NO hazing of the reflector, NO warping of the lens. I use them regularly, in hot or cold weather, day or night.

The only "problem" is for other drivers -- sometimes I get "flashed" when I used them because they're so frickin' bright, so I try to use them only when I feel I need to.

Hope that helps!

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO troubles whatsoever with my modded 9005 HIDs (kit from mikemjohnson) in the OE fog housings. NO thermal issues: NO hazing of the reflector, NO warping of the lens. I use them regularly, in hot or cold weather, day or night.

The only "problem" is for other drivers -- sometimes I get "flashed" when I used them because they're so frickin' bright, so I try to use them only when I feel I need to.

Hope that helps!

Thanks all.

Interesting comments on the 9005's. I would think you would have at least had some hazing issues by now. Great news.

Have you tried to direct them down a bit to not upset oncomming traffic? I like using the driving lights to light up the immediate road in front of me and find myself using them often.

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward GetWired's mod method but am also looking for good replacements (glas housing's etc) that would work in our stock fog light area with little modification to the truck. (I'm ok with making my own bracket for the light, etc) If they were cheap, I'd take the risk.

Any ideas?

We have a 4inch light but I don't think it's very deep. I'm having a hard time finding a quality replacement. (metal / glass)

I came across the Eagle Eye hid900. They would need a paint job (probably high temp paint and clear coat) but am nervous about buying without seeing them in person first. It looks like the diameter is a little less than stock. (pricey too)

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/eagleeyelighting_hid.asp

The other ones I like (better) are PIAA 600 series but WOW....the price. Not to mention I think they are too big in diameter. They'd look bulky even if I could get them to fit.

http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/600hid.html

I'd be just as happy with a plain old halogen set that has a "normal" bulb that I could stick a HID kit in. (e.g. H3)

chevyhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can you get the led lights and what are the exact part numbers... i am intrested in doing this mod it sounds bad ass

jsted2

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward GetWired's mod method but am also looking for good replacements (glas housing's etc) that would work in our stock fog light area with little modification to the truck. (I'm ok with making my own bracket for the light, etc) If they were cheap, I'd take the risk.

Any ideas?

We have a 4inch light but I don't think it's very deep. I'm having a hard time finding a quality replacement. (metal / glass)

I came across the Eagle Eye hid900. They would need a paint job (probably high temp paint and clear coat) but am nervous about buying without seeing them in person first. It looks like the diameter is a little less than stock. (pricey too)

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/eagleeyelighting_hid.asp

The other ones I like (better) are PIAA 600 series but WOW....the price. Not to mention I think they are too big in diameter. They'd look bulky even if I could get them to fit.

http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/600hid.html

I'd be just as happy with a plain old halogen set that has a "normal" bulb that I could stick a HID kit in. (e.g. H3)

PIAA also has the 610HID thats only 4" in diameter

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PIAA also has the 610HID thats only 4" in diameter

Nice find. It looks like it needs 4 7/8" for the screws. If they were a BIT cheaper than $1,200 :crazy: , I might think about giving it a try.

I know PIAA is some of the best stuff out there but......wow.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PIAA 600

Seems a bit retarded to even remotely consider $1229.95 for driving lights, unless you're a pro Baja racer or something, and this is literally the ONLY thing that would fit. Anyway, you could build 5 sets of OE fogs retrofitted with 9005 HIDs for that price... :crazy: Hey, to each his own, so whatevah!!!

tbully

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit retarded to even remotely consider $1229.95 for driving lights, unless you're a pro Baja racer or something, and this is literally the ONLY thing that would fit. Anyway, you could build 5 sets of OE fogs retrofitted with 9005 HIDs for that price... :crazy: Hey, to each his own, so whatevah!!!

GW - on the contrary, I think you missed my point. I am not considering this mod at this price. I'd much rather go your 9005 route. If it were a few hundred, I would think differently. After all, by the time you figure how much it would cost for a decent set of lights plus the price of the HID kit you'd likely be over $300.

1,200 is insane though.

Now, if someone would like to try it so I could see how it looks......MORE POWER TO 'em!!!!!

:lol:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was agreeing with ya!

GW - on the contrary, I think you missed my point. I am not considering this mod at this price. I'd much rather go your 9005 route. If it were a few hundred, I would think differently. After all, by the time you figure how much it would cost for a decent set of lights plus the price of the HID kit you'd likely be over $300.

1,200 is insane though.

Now, if someone would like to try it so I could see how it looks......MORE POWER TO 'em!!!!!

:lol:

Nah, I definitely didn't miss your point -- I was agreeing with you. You could probably go the modded route for about $150.00, assuming you keep the stock housings you already have. About $270-280 gets you new OE housings and a decent HID kit and the 9005 connectors...

Good luck!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing this to my Tahoe. Has anybody performed this mod on the tahoe fogs yet? I looked the housings up on gmpartsdirect, they are listed separately, but the pictures look identical.

yatch07

Reaction score
tbrend said he did the upgrade in his 07 tahoe but he never posted any update on the heating issue