2009 Tahoe - SERVICE STABILITRAK-SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL/can't shift out of "Park"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe09nm

Reaction score
Warning chimes sound and then STABILITRAK OFF – TRACTION CONTROL OFF – SERVICE STABILITRAK - SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL - SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM messages appear in that order and the ABS and Traction Control warning lights come on. The “Check Engine†light NEVER comes on.

First happened about a year ago and was intermittent during cold weather….messages and warning indicators would come on about 10-15 seconds after starting or while driving….and only happened when outside temperature was below 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit…but when temperature would rise later in the day, the messages/warning lights would not come on….once temperature dropped again and went to start engine or while driving the warnings reappeared. Brought it to Chevy dealer then and they could not find anything wrong – they said no codes were captured since “Check Engine†light did not appear. They wanted me to bring it in when warnings appeared while driving….never got a chance to. Issue never occurred during warm/hot weather.

Started happening again about 2 months ago after first cold day of the season but now on very cold days after starting engine and warming it up and then I try to shift out of “Parkâ€, the gearshift locks and the warning chimes sound and then STABILITRAK OFF – TRACTION CONTROL OFF – SERVICE STABILITRAK - SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL -SERVICE TRAILER BRAKE SYSTEM messages and warning lights come on. It won’t allow me to shift out of “Parkâ€â€¦.I have to keep pumping the brakes and trying to shift…sometimes takes up to 5 minutes before I can move gearshift out of “Park†– I have to depress the brake slowly and release and depress again and somehow it releases the gearshift and finally can get it out of “Parkâ€. This happens especially on very cold days (below 30 degrees). I keep hearing a clicking noise from the brake as I depress it…have to keep depressing it repeatedly and slowly until I catch it at the right moment and then it allows me to shift ot of “Parkâ€.

Any thoughts? Anyone experience this?

Thanks.

09 tahoedriver

Reaction score
We have the exact same story! Everything your Tahoe is doing mine did as well. Mine would flash service stabilitrak/ service traction control and not shift out of park when the temperature was below 50. I took mine to the dealership 2 nights ago so that they could work on it first thing yesterday morning. They determined that my brake switch shorted internally and replaced the part. So far it has been driving great, no issues.

The brake switch was covered under warranty but the brake flush and alignment that the mechanic said I also needed was not. So I had to pay $263.36 and the warranty paid 232.73 (The brake switch part itself was only 19.24!)

The mechanic knew what the problem was immediately when I told him I had to pump the brakes to make the gear shift move from park. He also told me the problem would have gotten worse and eventually pumping the brakes while jiggling the gear shift would not work if the part was not replaced. I took my Tahoe in the night before so that it would be cold and flash the messages in the morning when they checked it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

1mantis

Reaction score
We have the exact same story! Everything your Tahoe is doing mine did as well. Mine would flash service stabilitrak/ service traction control and not shift out of park when the temperature was below 50. I took mine to the dealership 2 nights ago so that they could work on it first thing yesterday morning. They determined that my brake switch shorted internally and replaced the part. So far it has been driving great, no issues.

The brake switch was covered under warranty but the brake flush and alignment that the mechanic said I also needed was not. So I had to pay $263.36 and the warranty paid 232.73 (The brake switch part itself was only 19.24!)

The mechanic knew what the problem was immediately when I told him I had to pump the brakes to make the gear shift move from park. He also told me the problem would have gotten worse and eventually pumping the brakes while jiggling the gear shift would not work if the part was not replaced. I took my Tahoe in the night before so that it would be cold and flash the messages in the morning when they checked it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Hi it been awhile since your post on this fix, but has it been ok so far? Mine has been doing the same thing

09 tahoedriver

Reaction score
No issues whatsoever. I forgot all this even happened Iol. It looks like this was a total fix for me.

1mantis

Reaction score
Hey thanks for your reply.It s like I'll raft there. Thanks again