2014 Tahoe over heating on grades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeAlexander

Reaction score
When pulling my trailer with my Tahoe I have been experiencing over heating on long grades 6% more then 5 miles long.
Owners manual does say 250 degrees that is when to cool the truck down. But 250 seems way to high.
Trailer curb wait is 2700lbs, loaded I assume 3700. Well under the 5000lbs Tahoe rating.

Please note that the coolant gage is faulty. The following comes from my mechanic:
• The dash gage will show 210 degrees and with my mechanics OBDII connected the reading is 180 degrees.
• As temperature rises the gage does not move until the OBDII reads 218.
• So the dash gage sits at 210 while the temperature fluctuates between 180 – 218, a 38 degree difference.

During our trip the normal operating coolant temperature is 199.3 (Torque ODBII app reading) while outside air temperature was 99 degrees, at a speed of 65 mph.

Example:
Up Sherwin (North of Bishop to Mammoth Lakes) a 6% grade & 7 miles long using Torque android auto OBDII.
• Coolant temperature spiked to 233 degrees (Torque reading) and pulled over to lower the temperature
o Outside temperature was 79 degrees
• High speed radiator fan did not engage on the grade
o High speed radiator fan did engage later, parked engine running
• Note: Previous October did not exceed 210 degrees with outside temperature the same
Questions:
• Do I have intermittent high speed radiator fan actuation?
• What temperature does the high speed fan activate?
• Can the sensor that turns on high speed fan be replace with a lower temperature rating?
• What is the best course of action to resolve the overheating on grades?
• Is it really a heating issue and I have no worries?
Thoughts?