2015 Tahoe/Yukon third row seat removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hypractv

Reaction score
I immediately removed my 3rd row seat. It takes up space in my basement now. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit the cargo area. It covers the holes in the carpet where the seat legs bolted to the floor. I used a Weather Tech full size rubber mat to cover the area.

It provides substantially more cargo space and I don't have to strain myself lifting items so high anymore.

Rather angry I had to pay a lot for a leather bench I will never use. They should have left it as an option.

Any chance you can post a pic of the plywood / weather tech mat in that area?

Thanks!

dmack98

Reaction score
third seat removal was easy

Thanks to all the posts on removing the third seat on 2015 Tahoe. I found it easy to do. 7 15mm bolts hold it to the floor, tip the seat forward and disconnect the power cord, then lift it out. Did not separate the 60/40 seats ... makes it a little heavy, but stored in my garage will not matter. The little plastic bin at the back has two handscrews to hold it in place. The Weathertech floor panel fits perfect. It took 2 hours of reading, studying photos and gathering courage to start; then about 15 minutes to remove it. Sure wish I had done this last Summer when I first bought the Tahoe. Stuff rolling around on the sloped folded third seat (the seats do NOT lay flat as the salesperson said) broke two covers on the tailgate. They will not do that again. This is my third Tahoe (2001, 2010 and now 2015). It will be the last until Chevy makes the third seat optional .... I am not confident they will ever do that. I wrote a letter to Chevy .. they blew me off.

dmack98

Reaction score
Tahoe - third seat removal

Yes. There are several holes in the floor. A bit of caulk and a couple of layers of duct tape and they are closed up. The third seat can easily be re-installed when you go to sell or trade it in. I have the Weathertech floor pan back there now and it fits very well.

Overheadbryan

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to give this a go on my suburban. Hate that they don't have the easily removable seats anymore.....

dmack98

Reaction score
Tahoe third seat removal

Before I removed the third seat I talked to the Head of the Service Dept at the local Chevy Dealership. He said that the Tahoe/Suburbans typically have a 5-year cycle for major changes. Since the 2015 Tahoe was the first year of the cycle, we have several more years before there are significant changes ... I am afraid the powered third seat is standard for a few more years.

dmack98

Reaction score
2015 Tahoe third seat

If you can find a third seat, it is easy to install ... 7 bolts into the floor pan, electric harness snaps together. I would think a third seat would be expensive to buy. If you are buying a used 2015 Tahoe, I thought the third seat was included in the purchase price when new, so I do not know of any that do not have a third seat. It does not fold flat, so much of the comments in this thread have been by folks who have removed them to gain extra cargo area.

Leeelliott1

Reaction score
Without 3rd row

How does the floor look in a 2015 with 3rd row removed. I attached pics of mine that never had third row.....wondering how different floor is.

Attachments

• IMG_6934.jpg
    IMG_6934.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6935.jpg
    IMG_6935.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 132

dmack98

Reaction score
2015 Tahoe third seat removal

Here are two photos of the back of my 2015 Tahoe with the third seat removed.

One shows the holes in the carpeting/floorboard and the other shows the standard Weathertech plastic/rubber pan in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 147

hypractv

Reaction score
Looking into buying a Tahoe this week. If anyone can provide the following measurements this week that would be awesome!

1) Distance from rear of 2nd row seat back to tailgate (with the seats folded down / removed)

2) Height from floor / 3rd row seat back folded down to ceiling measured just behind the 2nd row seat back.

Thanks in advance!

Buff

Reaction score
I am interested in doing the opposite of this. I may need to add the third row to a 2016 police package Tahoe which did not come with the third row. The 2016 model has the seat belts that hang from the ceiling so adding that system would be more labor intensive. I was wondering if anyone here knows if you can directly bolt in the older seats with the integrated seat belts. 2014 and older I believe.

Storie

Reaction score
3rd Row Power Seats

Has anyone removed the 3rd row power seats in a 2015 Tahoe LTZ? First, how do a person take out the storage bin at rear? Second, how many electrical wires and connectors are left on the floor after removal of the seats? How difficult is this job?

dmack98

Reaction score
2015 Tahoe third seat removal

The storage bin has two plastic bolts that hold it in place. Lift up the rubber mat inside the storage bin and you will see the plastic bolts. The wiring harness has one or two connectors, you can separate them apart using a small screwdriver to pop them open. I think it took me less than 15 minutes to remove the 7 bolts that hold the third seat in place, pop the wiring harness apart and remove the storage bin. Finding a place to store the seat in my garage is the chore.
Hope this helps.

Storie

Reaction score
3rd Row Power Seats

Thanks, finally took them out just as you said. Now trying to find something to cover the area that looks good. I stored the seats in my closet and it took up one wall. Now on to trying to learn all the electronics.

dmack98

Reaction score
I bought the WeatherTech floor pan for the Tahoe. It is designed to sit on top of the 3rd seat folded down; but with the seat removed, it fits the area perfectly. Of course the WeatherTech costs $100+ so a scrap piece of carpeting may work just fine.

Connell2017

Reaction score
Seat Row Seat Removal 2017

Will the 2017 third row seat (and tool box) removal be the same as the 2015 third row seat removal? Agree it would have been good to keep the removal third row seat as it was prior to 2015. Thanks.

dmack98

Reaction score
Third row seat removal on 2017

Chevy seems to change the Tahoe/Suburban every 5 years. Since 2015 was the first year, you can expect the 2016, 2017, 2018 models to remain pretty much unchanged. The power third row seat can be easily taken out of the truck removed by removing a handful of bolts and disconnecting the electric harness. It took me about 15 minutes to remove the third seat in my 2105 Tahoe. I am delighted to get extra storage area in the vehicle.

hypractv

Reaction score
I brought home my new 2017 Tahoe last Wednesday, and promptly left on vacation. I plan on doing the 3rd row delete this week.

mwalsh

Reaction score
Hypractv did you end up removing the third row seats in your 2017? Looking at purchasing the 2017 as well and want to remove the third row seats so we have room for our dogs