2016 Yukon whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowboy

Reaction score
Just got a new 2016 Yukon XL. I hear a whining noise when I'm on the accelerator cruising steady at highway speeds. When I lift off the gas, 2 or 3 seconds later the noise stops. Touch the gas (even slightly) and the whine comes back. The pitch of the whine seems the same, regardless of speed.
Thanks for any feedback.
Lowboy

bkooman

Reaction score
Is it a high pitch 'squeak' sound? If yes, I have something similar on my '15 Chevy Tahoe. I have asked the dealer about it but they don't hear any issues. I am guessing it annoys you as well...

Lowboy

Reaction score
The best I can describe it is a whine or singing sound. A fairly high pitch that you hear when its quiet in the cabin.
It is a little annoying. Since then, I have shifted the aux box to 2-wheel drive, instead of automatic and I can't say I have noticed the sound since.
Next time I'm out on the highway I will listen for it and try changing the aux box back to automatic to see if it comes back. Steering back and forth doesn't affect it so I'm thinking it's not in the axle or hub.
I can't quite tell if it is coming from under the hood or under the body.
Thanks

bkooman

Reaction score
I think we are talking about the same noise... I keep mine in 2WD normally and still hear it multiple times a day. If you figure out the cause of the noise, please let me know. In meantime, I will just turn the radio up louder to drown it out.

Lowboy

Reaction score
I will. The truck has to go back for the air bag software recall. I'll quiz the dealer about the noise when I get there. What's odd to me is that the pitch of the noise and the 'speed' of the noise is the same regardless of the speed of the truck. As the speed on the highway goes up or down, the sound remains the same. So it doesn't make sense that it is something that is spinning, causing the noise. Also, like I said, the noise stops a second or 2 after I lift off the throttle, and comes right back as soon as I barely touch the gas. So it doesn't seem to be coming from a 'load' on the drivetrain.
Weird.

3sons66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will. The truck has to go back for the air bag software recall. I'll quiz the dealer about the noise when I get there. What's odd to me is that the pitch of the noise and the 'speed' of the noise is the same regardless of the speed of the truck. As the speed on the highway goes up or down, the sound remains the same. So it doesn't make sense that it is something that is spinning, causing the noise. Also, like I said, the noise stops a second or 2 after I lift off the throttle, and comes right back as soon as I barely touch the gas. So it doesn't seem to be coming from a 'load' on the drivetrain.
Weird.

Anything like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PntA7XETPg

bkooman

Reaction score
I've got a different sound but nice fix! Mine is almost a whistle. The noise stops a second or 2 after I lift off the throttle, and comes right back as soon as I barely touch the gas. Sounds like the same as lowboy.