28" Electric fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Who has installed an electric fan on the 28" radiator? I've been debating just installing it or upgrading to the 34" and running the bigger fans. I live in AZ so extreme heat is a factor.
Anyone tell me how the smaller electric fans perform on the 28"?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I installed two 16" electric fans in mine. HUGE difference. Here is a thread about the mod.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed two 16" electric fans in mine. HUGE difference. Here is a thread about the mod.

I read that thread. Good info but you have the 34" radiador. I have the 28" will not be able to install 2 16" fans. My question was to those that have the shorter radiators and have installed 2 13 1/2" or a 14" & 13" fans.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go the proform route, same process as JKs - just order 2 13" fans instead.

JK - why would anyone order the $500 fans as opposed to 2 of the sub-$100 proform ones? Are we talking Chinese-quality? :)

Also - what happens to the belt?

ruf455

Reaction score
LS1 fans are a cheaper option and fit square on to the radiator. You can hook those up with Hayden control's/wiring harness and be out less than $150. You should be able to get the fans for around $100 (or less) and the controls/wiring sell at the local parts house for about $40 or less. JK did a great job, but he has the larger radiator. I have heard that LT1 fans will work just as well.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$100 for a used fan, I assume? Do the bolt points line up, or do you need to fab some brackets?

Or even better, you got URLs for those parts?

ruf455

Reaction score
Making your own brackets seems to be the route everyone takes. They don't use or create anything complex. Search the truck section over on LS1tech, there are tons of post about it with lots of info. Yes, the fans are used. I have seen the set up and it is clean and fits.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showpost.php?p=3645303&postcount=5

http://www.haydenauto.com/catalogs/hayden/2007-hayden-electric-fans.pdf

I have used the Hayden relay's with success. It takes out the need to tune your ECU to control the fans.

Junk yards, no URLS, are the best place to get those fans. But if you need new ones, pay attention to the amp draw on some models, some pull a lot more than others.

ruf455

Reaction score
Those are the ones. I think (don't quote me on this one) that LT1 fans work too. I've seen the LS1 fans on a 6.0 STS turbo crew cab stay cool all day...they work.

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said screw it and threw money at it yesterday and got the flex a lite 292's.
I liked the idea of the shroud and variable speed fans.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a junkyard and pick up some ls1 e-fans or any 05+ tahoe/silverado/etc fans as they cam stock with electrics 2005 and up, nelson harness or a homemade relay will work just fine.

ruf455

Reaction score
I second that. The harness set up has LOTS of options, Painless wiring, Hayden, etc...