3 problems with 97 hoe,please help????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rc2atvs

Reaction score
first off i just found this site,and already enjoying the info from it. i recently got a 97 2door (not z71) tahoe,and has 3 things wrong with it i cant seem to fix to save my life. also on that note my wife has a 96 tahoe 4door. onto the first problem,the steering? i replaced the sensor on the steering shaft,and had it aligned ,but to no prevail. sitting still with no movement i can use my pinky to turn the wheel,and it floats all over the road when driving? my wifes tahoe is firm when driving and requires some effort when sitting still like all automobiles? second is the static in the radio. i replaced the plugs,wires,switched radios,tried a different mass, swapped alts out of my wifes tahoe,and also ran another ground from chassis to battery. still static when running,my wifes tahoe is crystal clear? aslo but not least is the brakes. i beleive i have it down to rear drums at least. removed the drums and cleaned. i also bled both sides,but still harldy no brakes. brakes almost goto the floor,and i also noticed the piston barely moves outward with just one pump of the brake,but comes out alot farther when pupmed twice. neddless to say my wifes tahoe just barely tap the brakes and your there! i really hope someone has some insite on this?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
radio static change with engine RPM?

air in the brake line maybe?

welcome to the forum.

Pete

rc2atvs

Reaction score
radio static change with engine RPM?

air in the brake line maybe?

welcome to the forum.

Pete

well i bled the qrap out of the brakes, front and rear, as for rpm the static stays the same.

im assuming 99hoe that you hoe performed liked mine while driving, real loose like?

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is also a sensor on the steering pump or box, might help. radio static is usually from a bad ground. is it factory radio or aftermarket? lastly, adjust rear brakes, then bleed brakes starting from right rear, then left rear, right front, and then left front. if still low pedal suspect bad master cylinder.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
static when cd/tape plays or only when am/fm is used?

rc2atvs

Reaction score
there is also a sensor on the steering pump or box, might help. radio static is usually from a bad ground. is it factory radio or aftermarket? lastly, adjust rear brakes, then bleed brakes starting from right rear, then left rear, right front, and then left front. if still low pedal suspect bad master cylinder.

well it was a factory radio,then went to a aftermarket. i took the radio out of wifes and placed in mine and did the same thing. also placed all mine in her tahoe with no static at all. i will have to find the other sensor you speak of?

Last edited:

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is static only am/fm or static with cd/tape play as well?

rc2atvs

Reaction score
is static only am/fm or static with cd/tape play as well?

only on fm/am (which i dont listen to am anyway). doesnt do it on cd/dvd or with engine off? the static is bad enough that i hardly ever use the radio b/c of it,and just listen to cds.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like bad antenna ground and or bad antenna. check that the antenna base inside the fender is grounded well. also what i do in these cases is i pull out radio and plug in another antenna right into the back of the radio and run vehicle. this will help narrow down if its the antenna or not. good luck, post your findings

rc2atvs

Reaction score
hey thanks green,unfortuanetlly i alreay tried the antenna in the back,checked the junction on the fender well as well. i am stumpped!!!

96cherry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really sounds like something to do with that antenna, i no you already checked but for it to only be doing it when listening to the radio i would have to say mess with all antenna connections while someone is listening to the radio to try and narrow it down

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd still pull head unit, intall another antenna right into back of radio and start truck and see if noise goes away. this will take antenna out of the picture if it isnt the problem, if noise goes away, its an antenna issue