35w & 55w hid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have projectors and the thing is...i will only need the ballast.. Not the headlight bulbs..it plugs..the factory harness to the ballast from ballast to headlight projector plug!!..so will it make a diff.. Having 55w instead of 35w or is that only for the lightbulb????????

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to read that, uh, paragraph. Not sure what you mean...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your bulbs are prolly 35W. If you want 55W you will need a whole new kit. But if your putting them in your projectors, I would worry about it melting the projector. Stick to 35W ones.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused as well...

You have aftermarket headlight housings which have "projector-style" lenses for the low beam. You still need bulbs to put in them. Either halogen or an HID kit.

So if you want HID's in there, you still need a complete HID kit to put in the projecters.

I would stick with 35W.

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nooo..there is already a lightbulb in the lens of the projector!!! all i need is the hid ballast to produce color!! the factory harness plugs to the ballast from ballast to headlight projector plug! so what i am asking is...will it make a diff in getting a 35w or 55w (ballast) or does it not matter cuz the headlight bulb that comes with the hid kit produce the wattage???????

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bulb is not an HID bulb.

You need a complete HID kit. Take the bulb in there and throw it out. That is a halogen bulb.

Ballast's dont "produce color". Ballasts are used to ignite HID bulbs which operate on a different voltage level than halogen bulbs.

HID bulbs come in different color ratings. This is specific to the bulb. Not the ballast.

Your "projectors" simply refer to the optically round "shield" in front of the bulb which affects the light pattern. Normally headlights have "reflector" sheilds instead of "projectors".

This does not mean the bulb you have sitting in there is an HID bulb.

Again, you need a complete HID kit.

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

i get it now!!! thanks bad63lac for taking the time to explain!! ok ok so i should stick to 35w?? or do u think 55w will melt the lens?? (im gonna order from ddm)

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright 35w 6000k here i come!!!

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 55W might melt the things. I'm sure they are not the same quality as OEM projectors.

35W will be plenty more light than stock. No need for even more in my opinion and no need to introduce greater (hotter) possibilities of melting stuff.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also H11 is what you would order IF YOU WERE USING YOUR STOCK HEADLIGHT HOUSING!!!!!! DO NOT ORDER h11 IT WILL NOT FIT.

Your new Projector housings use an H1 bulb. So order that kit and ask the company for an H1 kit with h11 connectors.

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the company will reply...buy i have an h1 kit already..it says 8000k but me and a friend ordered the same and his looks like 10-12k!!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good responses Bad63 and RT. Bad63 love the blacked out look of your burb.

Rizz let us know what you think about that HIDs in the projectors and take some pics viewing out the windshield. I think the 8000k will not provide enough light (not sure if you got the 35 or 55w). Also thanks for not typing with the CAPS on or in red :).

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSCF7730.jpg

DSCF7733.jpg

DSCF7736.jpg

DSCF7737.jpg

DSCF7737.jpg

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im switchin to 55w hid kit soon...(it shouldnt burn my projectors lens cuz the lights that came wit it a 55.. if it melts..ahhh well! :\) i want brighter so im goin w/ 6000k for lows and ima do 5000k for the highs then getting putco fogs!! :) cant wait

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont say I didnt warn you, but...

FYI, almost all stock Halogen bulbs are 55W. That does not stop 55W HID's from melting things and causing damage. There's a reason that people use 35W HID's to replace 55W Halogen's. ;)

Also, based on your pics, you have a TON more light on the road than the stock lights offered. Instead of going with 55W bulbs and damaging things and potentially frying your wiring, go with different Kelvin bulbs. I believe you have 8000K? Those are very blue (and IMO look cheap like "HID"-look Halogen bulbs). The more color in the bulb, the less light.

All stock HID bulbs from car manufacturers are 4300K. I put 5000K in mine, they are a bit whiter. They are super bright white w/o any blue-ness. Even if you put 4300K, they will still be much whiter than stock Halogen bulbs.

Also, I'd suggest against going with HID's for the high beams (saw your other post). You will end up ruining them if you like to "flash" your highbeams at people. We are lucky that our low beams stay "on" when the high beam is activated, so your HID lows will always be on. But when you flash/flicker your high beams on/off quickly that will damage the HID bulbs.

Lastly, I'm removing my 35W HID's from the fogs. After only about 2 hours of use, they are already starting to make the chrome foil inside the housing bubble. :(

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the problem with the H3 Is where the bulb is and the way you mounted them. Mine seem ok. But the bulb is also further away from the reflector yet still about a half an inch away from the lens, Since the HID bulbs main sorce of head is towards the back Im not worried about it being close to the lense, But I tell ya, I really love the extra light. Even with halagon low/high beams. I cant wait until my bi-xenon kit comes in.