4.8 Liter engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so for those of us who have the UBER "Less Stuff" version, how many of yall have the 4.8 liter engine? And for those of yall who do, what do yall think of it? I have it, and it feels about the same as the 5.3 that was in my 2000 Suburban. Comments?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Less Stuff" I like that :) I have an LS with just about the least stuff you can get on the 4x4 model... I don't mind it, I can take all the money I saved and make it better than it would have been ;) They are still Tahoes and they still rock!

I'm not real surprised that the 4.8 seems near the power of the 5.3. The TCM in these things reduces their effective power on take off, so a similar feel is not surprising. Plus you still have 9/10 the power the 5.3 has, which isn't a huge difference. The jump to the 6.2L Denali engine is a much bigger power differential.

Greystone07

Reaction score
depending on the gears that will also give the same feel but the real test is time...
either way the Tahoe's rock...
enjoy the exrta money in pocket...
i went from a Car getting 23mpg to My Hoe getting a average of 9....:D
but this is the Truck i have want for 12 years finaly got it and i would not change a thing..:cool2:

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder about the durability of the 4.8 liter. Since the transmission is dealing with less torque and I have weenie rear-end gearing, perhaps the drivetrain will last a bit longer? (Wishful thinking). I originally got it instead of the 5.3 because all that new cylinder shuttin down stuff made me nervous. I got rid of my last car because it was riddled with electrical issues, so I didnt want do have any other wierd issues. Yes, I do agree my car rocks :). I just need to get those horrid black plastic door handles off and Im good to go.