4x4 issue - 02 Tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charged97

Reaction score
All,

First off, this is my first post in here and after searching through quite a bit of quality material, I can't seem to pinpoint my problem. Here is what is happening:

The truck is fine in 2HI. I put the trans in N and pressed the 4HI button then put the trans in D. The light shows I'm in 4HI, but only the rears are pulling. I can do the same sequence and put it in Auto 4WD but I obtain the same results. If I go to 4LO, I hear and feel the rears lock in, but the fronts still don't lock in. I hadn't gotten a light at all, but a couple of nights ago I was testing a little bit with it and I got a Service 4WD light while in Auto 4WD. I disengaged (although it wasn't really engaged anyways) and put it in 2WD. The light stayed on til I turned the truck off and then back on. Through all of this, the truck runs/drives fine, but only in 2WD. There are no nasty noises coming from the drivetrain.

I've read where it could be anything from the switch on the dash to the encoder motor (and/or sensor), but I was hoping I could get a little feedback from someone who may have ran into an issue with symptoms that parallel my own.

Thanks,
Jason

BTW - The truck is an 02 w/ 5.3 LT. Thank you for your input.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the actuator. See if you find a plug on the front diff. Try to clean it inside and check for broken wires. I not a mech or tech, I just read this on Norwegian forum.

Charged97

Reaction score
Does anyone else have any suggestions? I looked into the actuator and that sounds like it could very well be it. I suppose I'll get up under the truck this weekend and see if I can get it working again.

Thanks,
Jason

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POST PICS!

Did you wait after you put it in neutral and the 4wd button? Mine is a 05 and I have to throw it in neutral, push 4wd and the light will flash for about 5 seconds and then lock in, then shift back into drive once the light goes on.

Could be the switch, from what I've read this is a common problem.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
POST PICS!

Did you wait after you put it in neutral and the 4wd button? Mine is a 05 and I have to throw it in neutral, push 4wd and the light will flash for about 5 seconds and then lock in, then shift back into drive once the light goes on.

I have had a 99 Tahoe 6,5TD, a 00 Tahoe 5,3 and currently a 04 Tahoe 5,3 and I can tell you this: It's not nessesary to put the trans in N to shift between 2hi and 4hi. It can be shifted while driving with trans in D,3,2,1. The trans in N only applies when shifting to 4lo, preferably with a little forward movement.

Maybe things changed in 05 but I really don't think so.

Charged97

Reaction score
POST PICS!

Yeah, I know how to work the auto 4wd setup and I put it in neutral before I switched to 4LO....I felt/heard the transfer case lock in, but the fronts are not doing anything. The light switches to the correct button that I push, flashes for a couple seconds then becomes solid.

bredman2256

Reaction score
no 4x4

my 02 did the same thing brought it to the dealer and they put the scanner on it and said it was fine everything functioned . wrong so i made the tech go for a ride on the hot top in 4x4 it should bind up whenyou turn( do this at a crawl ) come to find out the hubs were not engaging it was the pig tail on the front axle was junk not alot of money 40$ plus labor since i brought it back twice no labor check that its common good luck

Charged97

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm bringing this back from the dead a little bit, but I need to ask one more question. So I picked up a new front actuator switch and replaced it. I can now hear that motor switch on and off when I go from 2 to 4. The switch on the dash functions correctly and all 4wd/transfer case related fuses are good. The problem is that I STILL get no action from the front wheels. There has to be another part of this puzzle that I'm missing, but I'm at a bit of a roadblock at this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason