4x4 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notch8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2001 Tahoe LT and for some reason it hasn't engaged into 4x4 without some serious coaxing since around 60,000 miles and its got 113,000 on it now. My service 4x4 light comes on infrequently, and its been checked by an independent shop and dealership and nobody can find the problem. Any ideas?

classysaidso

Reaction score
mine too

im having the same issue. just bought an 02 tahoe 109000 miles. every once in a while the service 4 wd light comes on and stays on until i turn engine off. my 4 wheel drive works fine as sometimes i engage 4wd. the fact that it comes on infrequently drives me nuts. anyone know anything about this???

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep easy fix

i am a auto dealer and sell alot of the trucks. anytime i have this problem it has always been the 4x4 switch itself easy fix like $75 for the part at the local dealership easy plug and go swap hope this helps

cwelk87gn

Reaction score
I assume you have the electric shift. There is a part inside the transfer case shift motor called an encoder. My buddy who is a GM tech says this is very common in the electric shift 4wd. The little encoder is about $50 compared to $350+ for the whole motor.

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you have the electric shift. There is a part inside the transfer case shift motor called an encoder. My buddy who is a GM tech says this is very common in the electric shift 4wd. The little encoder is about $50 compared to $350+ for the whole motor.

Its in the actual transfer case? You have to open the transfer case to get to it, or does it bolt up to the transfer case?

Also is there more than one switch to replace?

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so now mine will not switch until the next time you start the truck. Plus to top it off it seems to want to either go back to 4hi or 4auto.

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little more reading, seems like the encoder sensor is another major issue with GM's. Part # 88962315.

mtodd54

Reaction score
Service 4x4 - Encoder motor

As of today I have now purchased 2 encoder motors from Van Chevrolet in Kansas City. This starts by the 'no TC' lighting on the dash, no lights on the electronic shift buttons and a "service 4WD" message on the odometer. This is absolutely ridiculous for a 2005 to have these issues already. The first was in Jan 2007 at 58,000 (not under warranty) and cost $611 and now today at Dec 2008 at 82,000 it cost me another $748. I feel like the dealership is getting in my pocket and I suggest you either look around for other (non-dealer) repair shop. I've also had the intermediate steering column replaced twice... so my personal opinion is I will steer away from the Tahoe/Suburban when looking for my next auto.

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the reading I have done, you just need to replace the sensor, not the whole encoder motor assemble. The sensor is around $70.00 for the part and the whole assemble is around $500.00.

mtodd54

Reaction score
Yeah, I just found this post today AFTER it was too late. The dealer NEVER offered the sensor only as an option. Do you know if Chevy has a regional service manager that I can complain to? Or anyone that will listen? thx.

515niko

Reaction score
i am a auto dealer and sell alot of the trucks. anytime i have this problem it has always been the 4x4 switch itself easy fix like $75 for the part at the local dealership easy plug and go swap hope this helps
My wifes Tahoe been having same issue.first time it happend it was over 2 years ago. it doesnt that often. Is this something that will progress into something wores?Its an 04 bought it new. current around 65000 miles.
Thank You!

cwelk87gn

Reaction score
My wifes Tahoe been having same issue.first time it happend it was over 2 years ago. it doesnt that often. Is this something that will progress into something wores?Its an 04 bought it new. current around 65000 miles.
Thank You!

As far as progressing here's what can happen (It happened to me). I had been trying to get mine to engage 4LO and after giving up, put it back in 2HI. Started off down the road and noticed I wasn't moving very fast but the tach was at 4,000 rpm and I heard a grinding noise. My first thought was the tranny had to be slipping, but after some roadside diagnostic work, I figured out that the transfer case was stuck between neutral and another setting therefore my grinding was coming from the T-case. I tinkered around with it for a minute and once I engaged the "AUTO 4WD" I was able to get home. If you don't need 4WD, and leave it alone you will probably be OK, otherwise you may want to look into getting it fixed. HTH