4X4 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Idaho and the town I live in just got its first REAL snow of the winter. I have never used the 4X4 in my 99 Tahoe before so I figured id test it out. When I first bought it I tested the buttons, on the dash, to make sure they would engage 4x4. I switched from 2 to 4hi then back to 2, each time I was able to hear the axle engage and lock. Today when I tested it i didn't feel anything and there was a clicking sound coming from the dash each time I pressed, and held, down the button to switch over. What is wrong with it? I also didn't feel any extra power pulling from the front. I also got my back tires to spin and the fronts did nothing.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, either the actuator in the Tcase is bad, or the servo for the front Diff is gone. You will have to find out if the front drive shaft is locked in when 4x4 is engaged, if it is, then the actuator for the diff is bad, if it freewheels, the one on the Tcase is bad.

Andrew99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ar those something that I could replace myself? Seems like they are just electronic parts.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, the actuator in the Transfer Case is a motor.

The one for the front Differential is a Wax motor IIRC....?????......??????

Both should be relatively easy to change with some minor repair skills, you do need to determine which is bad first tho.....