5.7L Vortec Oil Pressure Sending Unit, replacement how-to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hd_ryder

Reaction score
Anyone have any tricks to getting at the 5.7L Vortec Oil Pressure Sending Unit on a '99 Tahoe?

I know a special socket tool is required, but it looks pretty difficult to get to, at the back of the engine block.

Thanks for the help.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a little tricky and tight... thats what she said. . Haha... if you cant get the socket in you can get a wrench to rotate the oil pressure sensor fitting to where you can get the oil pressure sensor socket in but just makw sure you mark the original location the fitting is in

hd_ryder

Reaction score
Thanks for the info rockenthebowtie.
I now realize with the throttlebody intake duct off, I can lay a large piece of cardboard across the top of the engine, and can see it a bit better than looking at it from the side of the engine.
Even a mirror can help at that point.

hd_ryder

Reaction score
The socket tool for the sending unit I bought at AutoZone was too long to fit over the sending unit. There was not enough room between the firewall and the sending unit. I had to remove the sending unit with pliers. I could not find a wrench that fit the shape of the sending unit. I returned the tool at AutoZone and bought the 1 terminal sending unit like the one I took off the truck. Now the oil pressure seem to be normal so far.