60+ MPH Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the CV joints..... I would for grins and giggles get the tires rebalanced....

Zipper369

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... how can I tell if the driveshaft is bent? If the ditch broke off a torsion bar mount it may have bent the driveshaft as well.

Also, I checked all four tires and none of them seem to be off-centered or out-of-round. Right now I'm tight on funds, but an oil change and tire balance are on the ToDo list. Last time I got them regularly balanced, but next time I'm going to request a road-force balancing.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think on the driveshaft you would have to take it to a DS shop that works on them, other option may be to have it off and roll it on a flat piece of concrete (may not work as it may have weights welded onto it.....

Also on the link they suggested that with a lift that the shaft should be lengthened and the yoke wasnt all the way into the transmission...... But if it were ditched, I would be curious about that shaft. Redneck way would be to jack rear end up and crawl under and with trans in neutral rotate the shaft...... Wiggle around on it back and forth especially near the ujoints.......

justimagination

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw, I have fairly wide tires on her right now. I remember reading on here somewhere about Tahoes not being able to handle wide tires without shaking. Is that true?

Get it back to the original wheels/tires and you will solve your problem. JMHO.
david g.

Zipper369

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redneck way would be to jack rear end up and crawl under and with trans in neutral rotate the shaft......

I have a tendency to jerry-rig things in a redneck fashion, but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel doing that, lol.

Get it back to the original wheels/tires and you will solve your problem. JMHO.
david g.

I would, but I only have 3 of the 4 original tires. I have the 4th rim, but I'm not sure what happened to the tire that was on it. I could test out 2 new/2 old, then switch them out and see if the shake lessens. Or I might be able to use the 3 originals with my spare... even though my spare is a bit taller... Regardless, it would tell me if it's my tires causing the shake.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def try to put 2 wheels on and run/test/ swap out the other pair. You could have a bent wheel.....

Zipper369

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this morning I changed my tires. I've been driving around all day on my 3 originals and my spare. I've gotten her up to 70 and have yet to notice any shake whatsoever, so it had to be caused by the bigger tires.

Is it possible that when I got them balanced previously, they were still off a bit? Also, since one of the bigger tires fell off, could the impact of the control arm on the inside of the rim have been enough to bend the wheel? And could that be "fixed" by balancing it?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like JUSTIMAGINATION called a bent wheel.... :)

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connects the steering shaft to the steering box. Rag Joint.

99chevytahoe

Reaction score
Mine has a drone / rumble at highway speeds.. wondering if its a wheel bearing