$900?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taurus1911

Reaction score
I just left the goodyear service center, i was goin to get an alignment, but was told it wouldnt serve much purpose because i need new lowerball joints, but the upper ones are good. i was also told i need a new pittman arm. so labor and parts i was given an estimate of 900 dollars. told them no thanks. i just checked out my lowers, and they are wore out and a little rotted with a good amount of play in them. i dont know much about pittman arms but was told it needed to be replaced. well im pretty sure i can get new ball joints for around $100. and pittman arm for less than that. anyone know how difficult it is to replace these things at home?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
The ball joints are a straightforwards task. The b!tch part of the job will be the Pitman arm. I had to buy a tool off the MATCO truck specially designed for the pitman arms on these trucks.

IIWY, I would also replace the upper ball joints as well.

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ball joints are a straightforwards task. The b!tch part of the job will be the Pitman arm. I had to buy a tool off the MATCO truck specially designed for the pitman arms on these trucks.

IIWY, I would also replace the upper ball joints as well.

Is that a tool you could borrow on the loaner program at Autozone or Advance Auto?

taurus1911

Reaction score
yea, i rented the tool from advance auto. besides the tire, what all has to be removed before i can get to the ball joint? anything?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Tire, brake caliper (make sure you hang this up and out of the way), rotor, and tie rod.

Then you remove a cotter pin, if applicable, and the castle nut that fastens the balljoint to the spindle. You do not remove the bolt all the way. Next grab you BFH, big fu(king hammer and whale on the spindle by the ball joint to seperate the ball joint from the spindle. You now can remove the castle nut from the now seperated ball joint.

y0diggity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire, brake caliper (make sure you hang this up and out of the way), rotor, and tie rod.

Then you remove a cotter pin, if applicable, and the castle nut that fastens the balljoint to the spindle. You do not remove the bolt all the way. Next grab you BFH, big fu(king hammer and whale on the spindle by the ball joint to seperate the ball joint from the spindle. You now can remove the castle nut from the now seperated ball joint.

Well that just brings new meaning to the word "fun", doesn't it? Man I hope I never have to do that. Sounds like entirely too much work. Besides, I'm fresh outta BFH's... :)

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFH is useless without strength, stamina, and patiance. I even had trouble, I had access to a lift. Glad to know there is a tool for the pitman arms. It took some serious patience and figeting to get that thing loose without removing or loosening anything.

Back to balljoints. As stated...if you gonna to the one aka lower should do the other...its right there. There is a complete kit via Ebay for a great price and some. If i were to do it again, I would do that.

Either way good luck!

Jason

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will have to take the tersion bar off and the lower control arm off if you
need to take it to get them pressed out and new one pressed in.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any info or link on this ebay kit?

BFH is useless without strength, stamina, and patiance. I even had trouble, I had access to a lift. Glad to know there is a tool for the pitman arms. It took some serious patience and figeting to get that thing loose without removing or loosening anything.

Back to balljoints. As stated...if you gonna to the one aka lower should do the other...its right there. There is a complete kit via Ebay for a great price and some. If i were to do it again, I would do that.

Either way good luck!

Jason