95 Chevy Tahoe Starting Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armorplate

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I have a 95 Chevy Tahoe and the starter doesn't work unless I disconnect/reconnect the positive terminal on the battery. I originally bought a new starter because I thought the starter was bad. Unfortunately the new starter did the same thing...just clicks at the solenoid. Had both new and old starter tested and both work just fine. After I reinstalled the old starter, it started without any problems for the first day. On the second day, it started up and after my first stop, it wouldn't start. I disconnect and reconnected the positive terminal and it started right up. Hopefully someone out there can help me out....I'm not a fan of popping the hood every time I need to start up my Tahoe.

Thanks in advance

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all your grounds, especially to the engine block. Check your battery.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your starter relay in the fusebox good?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a solenoid... there should an underhood fusebox that has a few relays.... one will be the one...

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still on side posts?

Get a few marine terminals (Assuming your battery also has top posts), screw your stock cables to those and then transfer it to the top posts

I tell you, SINGLE BEST THING that I have EVER done to this thing, I absolutely abhor the side posts and tried 3 sets of new screws before throwing my hands up in the air and putting a $5 set of marine terminals on there

No more starter problems, no more radio issues, no more dim lights

Note: this was after purchasing a brand new battery thinking the old one was bad, its still sitting in the garage and still being well maintained)