'96 hoe current drain question (new battery going dead)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsagaas

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Tahoe 4WD, 2 door w/ 5.7L (350C.I.) gas engine. Odometer is at 157k miles. The truck was running great. I tend to use it only on weekends and it usually sits all week. Last weekend the one year old battery was dead and would not take a charge from the charger. I put a new battery in and it started fine. Today the battery is completely dead. Seems this can only be caused by a short somewhere OR is it possile that the rectifier bridge (diodes) in the alternator are letting battery current go to ground? Alternator is a rebuilt unit and was installed in about 2006. If the diodes are a possible suspect, is it possible to replace the bridge or is it better to just do the alternator replacement?
After I put the new battery in last week I did check to make sure that no lights were left on in the vehicle. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

itsagaas

Reaction score
Solution

The problem was traced to a bad power seat switch that was continuing to send power to the seat drive motor after it was at the mechanical limit on the track. With the power seat wires now disconnected at the connector under the seat, the rapid current drain problem is gone. A new seat switch is on order.
Ken