97 Tahoe LS engine mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmcelrone1

Reaction score
I have a lifted 1997 Tahoe LS with a gen I 5.7l vortec 350. Transmission went and decided to build up my engine while I have everything out and apart. I don't know a ton about engines but have friends who know how to work on engines and are certified, to help me pull apart and assemble. I'm wanting to reach the 400 hp area and would prefer to keep the engine parts and work in the $1800 area but am willing to work above it a little. Been doing alot of looking around and have been flooded with numbers and parts and am very lost. Would like some recommendations on what to get/ do to reach that goal. Has SS JBA ceramic coated headers already other then that I'm pretty sure everything is oem. If my memory serves me correct it was rebuilt 3-4 years ago.

Attachments

• Snapchat-20140405063930-1-0.jpg
    Snapchat-20140405063930-1-0.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 7

keek007

Reaction score
i can tell you that your engine if stock is about 250 to 290 hp so yout talking about adding alot of power for that kind of cash. cam and lifters, fordged pistons and some nos . otherwise to just bolt on go fast parts it will take alot more than 1800. i would cover the basics, exhaust, ignition, chip and programmer, maybe some trans work if ya have some cash left and see what ya think of it then. most internal mods will rack up money and you can easily getout of control on ya budget with a projet like this. i once spent 4000 when i ment to spend 1500.

jmcelrone1

Reaction score
There are build lists for reaching 400hp including the cost of the engine from a junk yard for around $1000 and that isn't with all ebay junk. I wasn't wanting just bolt ons and everything didn't need to be new. I already have exhaust, programmer, and headers. Currently my build is on hold because I'm going to buy a built transmission so I can at least get my truck back on the road.

Cap'n Hook

Reaction score
Why not look into an LSX swap, like a 5.3L out of a new ½-ton truck? They're fairly cheap used, make 330 hp, and with a little modification to the flywheel, should bolt up in place of the Vortec.