97 Tahoe Transmission blown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t2timmy

Reaction score
Out of nowhere, driving on the highway in traffic on the way home from NH to CT, my tranny started shifting funny and jogging kind of hard from 1-2. Then after doing that for a few miles, getting onto another highway, a good thud occurred and now it would no longer go into overdrive... scared the crap out of me cuz I was 250 miles away from home. Lucky enough I was able to make it home but IN TRAFFIC THE WHOLE WAY!! Thank you Mass! From a complete stop the trans would RPM up much more than normal in first and then shift hard with a jolt into 2nd. Still would never go into overdrive. I'm pretty sure it was making it into 3rd cause it would be driving and RPM'ing just like it would when in 3rd and not Over Drive. So I warned everyone I knew who could help to be on call and continued on home without taking it out of Over Drive (the gear I was in when it pooped). Finally at home, I went to back into my driveway and sure enough no reverse either!! Good thing I never parked face-in anywhere I stopped on the way. The trans never acted funny at all before and this really just happened out of nowhere!!

SO NOW SPECS - it's the 4L60e tranny, 4x4 and has 211,000 miles. I bought it at 167K and changed the fluid and filter at 170K. I did tow a boat with it for 4 summers but only about 20 minutes round trip to the lake and we used the boat maybe 5-6 times this year and last. I never beat on it either. The fluid was a little blackish when we first pulled the dipstick when I got home (not running). Then I started it up again and checked the fluid with it running and it was back to red and was at the perfect level. SOOOO Any ideas?? Is it blown? Is it something Electrical. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I plan to fix it myself... I'll probably have a friend help and either replace or rebuild.

blackdiamond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
torque converter. and with that many unknown miles. just do the tranny 4l60s are a dime a dozen

blackdiamond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your sunshell could be broken also. as long as that engine is runnin good. but most likely T.C. and an internal ovehaul will be in order

t2timmy

Reaction score
So you think it def needs to be dropped and re-built, including a new TC. Not electrical or sensor or something easy without dropping it?

blackdiamond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the engine running good most likely.... ck engine light or no? get it scanned anyways there could be a code in it i think its an 1875 thats the killer

miahis

Reaction score
I am kinda going threw the same thing the only dif is mine is two wheel drive and it shifts good when it shifts, it acts like it has a vacume leak when it doesn't shift because you push 5500 rpm and it will shift. 1st and 2nd shift fine but third and overdrive are a diffrent story.

cozaluk

Reaction score
98 yukon transmissino blown>???

I have a 98 yukon, recently I noticed transmission not shifting right. Very hard. truck will not move unless warmed up for at least 1/2 hr. now engine light on reading (p1870) apparently aamaco said fluid is burnt and tranny needs rebuild. i do not have the finances to do this. I am a single mom.