98' Tranny Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckingwevl

Reaction score
I did a little research in the forum and found lots of great tranny info, but I don't know if the posts I found are the same issue I am experiencing. Here is my issue.

I've been pulling a 6x10 cargo trailer (full enclosed) weighted down (including trailer weight) anywhere between 1500 and 3000 pounds. I travel 610 miles from Dallas to Big Bend National Park on the interstate going up and down through some pretty long hills and mountains. Nothing with any serious grade though. When I come off the highway, stop at light and then accelerate going from 1st to 2nd there is load thud from the tranny. Occasionally I will also hear a thud between 2nd and 3rd as well. Rarely experience any thud between 3rd and 4th. The last couple of trips there and back I have attributed the issue to running my hoe at 70-80 mph with 3000 pds in trailer weight going through hilly to mountainous terrain was simply pushing the tranny to its max. Engine RPM at these speeds ranges between 2200 to 3200 depending on the hill.

BUT I have read here in the forums that the towing capacity for a 98 hoe is considerably more than 3000. I don't have any issues with a thud when not towing. Runs like a champ and I commute 150 round trip to work everyday on the interstate unhitched.

So my first thought is to first slow down. Keep my speed on the highway while towing at 60-70 mph. Second have a tranny cooler installed because I suspect the trans fluid is simply being worked hard and getting to hot. Rationale for this is coming off the highway to get gas or something where the truck is turned off resting for 30 minutes, the issue seems to go away.

When I first started experiencing the thud issue I took it to the dealer and had a tranny service done. They dropped the pan, changed the filter and fluid. They found no metal and other than the fluid being discolored everything looked fine. I bought the hoe at 68k (I'm 2nd owner), there was no dealer record that the trans service had ever been done, the service was done at 108k and I now have 114k and still have a thud like I described.

So my questions are...am I driving to fast expecting too much from hoe with that much weight an kind of terrain? Would a tranny cooler solve the problem before I burn something up? Is the thud issue a symptom of potential bigger issue (remember I only have the issue when towing)?

Thanks for your insight in advance!

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thud could be the trailer coupling to the hitch. When the truck shifts there is movement in the whole truck back and forth so the trailer would move also making the noise your describing. Like you said it only happens when hooked up to the trailer. and yes a trans cooler will help.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also pull in 3rd...... many things could cause the noise not just the trans.....

ckingwevl

Reaction score
Update

Something I didn't realize is while I was towing the Service Engine Soon light came on. I didn't really think the towing thud issue and the light were related since it was the Service Engine Soon warning.

Took my hoe to Autozone to have them read the code and the code that came up was P1870 which is Transmission component slipping. The explanation said - Transmission is in 4th gear with TCC engaged and the ECM has detected excessive slippage when comparing the input shaft speed to the output shaft speed. Probable cause - trailer towing may set code, check transmission fluid level or internal transmission fault. I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes and when I reconnected the code was gone, thud was gone and I didn't detect any further slippage.

So is this issue computer related meaning the on-board systems are not adjusting properly when towing or is it potentially mechanical? If its an on-board system is it something that I can replace or adjust? I'm just trying to educate myself before I take it to the dealer or a tranny shop where I may get line of BS and end up spending thousands of unnecessary dollars. I've already had the dealer tell me my hoe was designed to tow anything over 1000 pds which I know isn't true!

To the previous poster...you mentioned to tow in 3rd. This may be a stupid question but wouldn't towing in 3rd at highway speeds put more stress on the tranny?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look inside your door, (the sticker on mine clearly states not to tow in OD...) 3rd gear is less stressfull on the transmission as there are more clutches not to burn up and slip.....