99 2 DR w/ poor performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warren76

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas. My 99 2 DR 4WD has performance issues. Thought it might be fuel pump so went and had tested. Tested out ok. Truck accelerates poorly and seems to get worse the more I drive around. At 65 to 70 MPH is the worst. Will transmission act up as you drive but act somehwhat ok cold? Not sure what to ask a mechanic to look for or accurately describe problem.

pcummings32

Reaction score
im having pretty much the same exact problems. let me know what you find out please! ill do the same.

ChevysRollin

Reaction score
On a 1999 Chevy Tahoe they use a timing chain that spins the camshaft which opens and closes the intake and exhaust valves, the timing chain is oil lubricated and is made of metal and is a lot stronger than a timing belt, but they do eventually get worn also the gears also wear and over time ( 100k+ ) they do stretch and become loose,which will effect what is called cam timing ( the opening and closing of the valves in precise timing as the pistons come to top dead center so that the pistons do not hit the valves and also for optimum air fuel charge,combustion ,and exhaust , more or less horse power and performance ) usually at 100 k the stretch and wear is not enough to cause any real noticeable running problems, but some performance lose still not really noticeable because of the gradual small loss over period of time driving.But as the slack in the timing chain becomes bad enough it could jump time anywhere from one tooth to several teeth, at one or two teeth jump the engine will still run but not very good and will lack power and hard to start etc.

Hope this helps you both.