99 Tahoe CD Player Removal & Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speromamakos

Reaction score
Anyone have detailed instructions with photos to repalce the factory CD Player in my 99" Tahoe?

Spero

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your wanting to replace the remote factory cd player or put in an aftermarket system?

-drop the tilt wheel all the way down
-hit the p-brake and put the truck in 1st gear
-basically the whole bash ring pulls out away from the dash
-unplug the wires attached to the switches on the dash trim piece (you'll need a small screw driver or pick for a couple of them depending on your model of truck.
-once the trim ring is out of the way, the cd player or headunit has two tabs on the sides, push down on them and pull it out. unplug it.

now you can either pop in a new factory unit or buy the kit at wal-mart or where ever. (make sure you get the wireing harness if its not included) follow the instructions and then the reverse of the directions above.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
now you can either pop in a new factory unit or buy the kit at wal-mart or where ever. (make sure you get the wireing harness if its not included)....
You'll also need an antenna adapter:thumbsup: Other than that, 96ProComp hit the disassembly process right on the money.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oops, my install kit came with the adapter and wire harness, came from wal-mart if memory serves me right. (the only place that was open the night i picked up my hoe :))

Spar

Reaction score
I know I'm late to the dance here, but...

Need some clarification here. Does the plate around the radio itself come out ? The only instructions I've seen before this basically said "Remove half the dash" My CD player doesn't work, and I'd like a new setup anyway, so how easy or hard this is will help make up my mind. Thanks :)

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See Post#2, one of the easier ones, my 95 hoe I dont even unhook wiring except the stereo as the dash Bezel can just be pushed up and the radio pulled out.... Very easy to do if you prep the new radio...... Bezel comes off without any tools and you just need to drop steering column down to its lowest adjustment, and gearshift into 1st gear. Pull out on bezel.

Spar

Reaction score
That was way too simple, no wonder I didn't understand it :jawdrop::lol: Tried it this morning, worked perfect. Thanks