A few questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChaosWarlord26

Reaction score
So I just bought a 98 Tahoe with 5.7 V8, 2-door, 4x4, and I have a few specific questions.

1. What type of rear axel and gear ratio does it have? (ie. 8.5 10 bolt 28spline with 3.73 gears)

2. What type of front axel and gear ratio does it have?

3. What is the largest tire we can house on the stock suspension?

4. Is it a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton rear suspension?

5. The fuel gauge is flickering back and forth. I believe it to be a bad ground. Where is the ground located? (Inside or underneath the vehicle?)

6. Where are some of the best places to buy parts for the Tahoe?

Mark 97 Tahoe

Reaction score
For the axle ratio, inside the glove box has a list of codes. The GU6 is 3.42. The GT4 is 3.73. Z71 is off road heavy duty suspension & skid plates.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. has already been answered
2. just the same as one..
3. stock suspension w/ cranking the front torsion bars about a 30.. - w/ 2in blocks in the back a medium 32 - to a light 33
4. if it says 1500 it is 1/2 ton if it says 2500 it is 3/4 ton if it says 3500 it is 1ton
5. good luck - the fuel sending unit ground wire is if your looking at the tank, look on the side towards the out-side of it close to the tire - look up and you will see a bolt connected to the body or frame (cant remember which) w/ a wire running to it - thats the ground - again good luck - (this is a VERY! common problem and usually just simply cleaning the ground doesn't fix it) - my 99 needs a new PCM to fix it, my 97 needs that black box thing that GM offers to fix its floating needle... - i live with both of them just the way they are
6. - what kinda parts you talkin about?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3. my 96 had 32" tires on the stock rims when i got it. (tires were 33", but measures 32") if you put wider rims on it your going to run into tire rub issues when turning.

ChaosWarlord26

Reaction score
The main parts I am looking for are aftermarket off road parts. I'm thinking of putting an LSD in the rear, 3" body lift, exhaust, etc...

Here is a pic of it.

000_0078.jpg

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got most of my parts from 4wheelparts. just stay away from the one in indianapolis, i've had nothing but problems with the store manager... says one thing and does another, screwed me on a few prices AFTER the parts were on my truck...

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you want to go off road or you want to make it look like it is ready for off road? Are you ready to get that thing dirty?

Here is a pic after a day in the woods and it really wasn't all that muddy that day.

attachment.php

ChaosWarlord26

Reaction score
I was going to make it ready for Off Road with a locker, 3"body lift, and good A/T tires. But everything has fell through. Decided a house was more important. Responsibilities suck....lol

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and let me answer another question - it is a 10bolt rear-end 8.5 carrier 30 spline axles - and then the ratio is again in your RPO codes