A park brake question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a stupid thing, bought the ‘Ho without even stepping on the park brake, well, it didn’t have one. I finally got around to getting it repaired. When I set it, the park brake icon comes on, a representation of two brake pads and a drum with an exclamation point next to it. It flashes red. Since I never had a functioning park brake before is this the normal display or is there something wrong? The park brake works, it sets and holds the vehicle. If I recall, it flashed before when it didn’t work so I don’t if that’s the normal display or a problem indicator.

Thanks.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try unhooking the battery? That gets rid of some things but dont know about this. hope someone else has a clearer answer for you!

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try unhooking the battery? That gets rid of some things but dont know about this. hope someone else has a clearer answer for you!

Actually I did, not to try and fix this, but because I was installing an AEM and didn't want to risk damaging the MAF.

Thanks anyway.

notch8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope that's normal. Its just there to catch your attention. You will also notice that at night if you have the parking brake set and you start up the truck the headlights won't come on automatically until the brake is released.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope that's normal. Its just there to catch your attention. You will also notice that at night if you have the parking brake set and you start up the truck the headlights won't come on automatically until the brake is released.

Thanks. Yep, noticed that.

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine had the same thing when i bought it a yr ago, how much did it cost you to get it fixed?

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine had the same thing when i bought it a yr ago, how much did it cost you to get it fixed?

Mine is a 2000. My mechanic says it's one of the worse designs he's seen, said the company must have thought so too because the stopped using it. So I guess depending on your year it might be different from mine. It has disk brakes but there is still a drum for the park brake. I had to have the drum and rotor replaced as well as pads. My mechanic is a retired GM mechanic who has done work for me before. He treats me well, doesn't gouge me for the parts and only bills me for actual hours, he doesn't get out a shop manual. That said, it still cost me $340.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why Richard said it was such a crappy design. I had my tranny rebuilt including adding a shift kit and parts and labor for the whole thing was just barely over $700, to spend almost half that on a stupid park brake sucks.