A Tahoe question from Rome, Italy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lake Tahoe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just joined this forum! I am about to buy a 1996 3-door Tahoe 5.7 Vortec which has 125k miles. In Europe, it is high-mileage and demand for such vehicles is low.

This Tahoe is a well-maintained single owner vehicle and has a service history too. It was not used for off-road driving. Tahoes are not many in Italy or even in Europe.

Now, to keep it going trouble for many more thousands of miles, what do I need to look for out for in, and what special care I need to give to, this high-mileage vehicle?

If well taken care of, with regular service and maintenance, how may more miles can one expect from this vehicle? My usage is only on-road and short-distance daily runs to work and back. (20 miles a day).

Any tip would be very helpful!

Cheers!

roadkill58

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Tahoe with 155k miles. Still going strong.

At 75k I replaced the intake gaskets (GM used plastic and rubber) with steel and rubber.

While I was in there I replaced the water pump, plug wires, spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor.

I installed a cold air intake and Magnaflow exhaust (just muffler) at about 100k.

Now I need to replace the O2 sensors.

I have driven over Donner Summit many times in 4 wheel high in the snow.
Once in white-out conditions. That was interesting.

tegger

Reaction score
That sounds a well-maintained one. I've seen a 1999 with 198k miles without major issue.