About To Drop A Rebuit 5.7 Vortec In My '99 2-Door.. Any Suggestions/Tips/Etc?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeanEboy

Reaction score
I posted this in the wrong section, perhaps I'll get some responses here...

So, my sister was driving my Tahoe for about a year or so.. Only to never check the oil.. Well, needless to say, it's three years now, and I'm finally getting around to dropping another engine in it.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions for this job..? I don't think I'm going to go about it alone, I'll probably at least have my mechanic buddy do it, if not in a shop... What should a job like this cost? Where should I get the engine from?

I was planning on mainly using this truck as a trailer puller (locally, jet skis/boats for leisure), and maybe a beach truck. I wanted to put a moderate lift on it, as well as some bigger tires.. DEFINITELY DOING A FLAT BLACK PAINT JOB!! (If you have experience with that, too, that'd be great!)
Should I up the horsepower with some performance mods at all? I see these engine companies offer some beefed up versions of the Vortec that sound interesting... But then again, I'm sure this thing will be enough of a gas hog as is, and with gas at about $4.00 a gallon, maybe it might be a bad idea...?

I would appreciate any pointers/tips/suggestions on this one.. As, the only engines I work on are Jet ski/ Waverunner engines... I'm not too advanced on my knowledge of truck engines...

What should it cost me in a shop to drop the engine in?

What should I pay for the re-manufactured engine? Should I get a new one? Used one? How about a performance engine?

I'm kind of leaning towards at least a remanned engine, and MIGHT do a beefed up performance version, but skeptical...

Again, thanks a lot for any help you have to offer.. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has dropped another engine into these trucks.. I love mine, and would love to keep it for miles and miles to come!
Edit/Delete Message

olpir8

Reaction score
Sorry to respond so late.. Just got back on.
I replaced the engine in my 99 4dr Tahoe about 3 years ago. I purchased a new 5.7 with a 5 year / 100,000 warranty and have been very happy with it.
The total price from my mechanic was $5,000. As far as I'm concerned it was well worth it. The total mileage on the 'hoe' at this time is 186,000 and 53,000 on the engine. Would do it again if I had to. Also, the tranny is original. Just now having a little slippage in OD. Had to replace the rear end a couple years ago. I pull a 8,000 lb Grady White.
If and when the tranny goes I'll replace it with a reman middle of the road performance one. Love my "Hoe" !! Olpir8

SeanEboy

Reaction score
Hey, Thanks

Thanks a lot for the reply.. Pretty much confirming my reasons for doing the engine.. I just got quoted $4450 with a 3 year 100k mile warranty all said and done... But, thats with the engine at $2435.00.. I'm pretty sure I found engines for $1800 in some places... Anyway, I can't wait to this beast back on the road.. I was debating going with some performance mods on it, but quite frankly, I would imagine the 5.7 Vortec will burn enough fuel as is, especially with it being $4.25 a gallon out here in NY.. Where are you towing that Grady? I love to fish, you fish at all? What kind of Grady is it?

Sean

olpir8

Reaction score
The price looks about right. Your gas mileage will be a couple MPGs less with the newer tighter engine. I suspect once it loosens up some the mileage will go back up. It pulls my Grady White 24' Explorer with no problems at all. However, I would not suggest pulling it without good trailer brakes. It will tend to push you if you are not careful.. Fish in the Chesapeak Bay every weekend in the summer. Love my "Hoe" and Grady !! olpir8

hoser

Reaction score
So what exactly is wrong with your current engine?

I bought a 86 Tahoe that had 200k+ miles on it and the engine was locked up, the oil cooler line leaked the oil out and as the power started to drop the guys wife kept pushing harder on the gas petal until the engine locked up, bought it for 1200 bux, pulled the engine took it apart it started to spin 3 of the main bearings, had the crank polished and checked, honed the cylinders dropped in a new set of rings, bearings, cam bearings, timing chain, checked the oil pump it showed no wear, so for a 350.00 rebuild I had a perfectly running tahoe 20k miles later its running perfect, reused everything else, cam, lifters, oil pump, spark plugs, no need changing perfectly good parts.

When I had it apart and measured everything using the GM specs at 200k the engine was not even 1/2 worn out, ring end gaps, piston to cylinder clearance, crank diameter, rods were still round, , oil pump clearance was good as new, owner said he never used any oil additives just had the oil changed by anybody that had a deal on oil changes, inside the engine was not sludge up.

$5000.00 to replace a 5.7 engine in a Tahoe? Must have had solid gold valve covers....

olpir8

Reaction score
Got to keep my mechanic in bling! Doing the work yourself save half the price but not all of us have the time or knowledge. Besides, I'd rather be fishing.
You get what you pay for. You want a $1.98 engine.. Be my guest..!

MrSmooth1031

Reaction score
In October 2010 I had a new motor dropped in my Tahoe from the dealer where it was purchased back in '97.. The motor was $6600.. That included a new water pump and two new oil cooler lines.. It came with a 5yr/100,000 mile GM warranty.. I had a new transmission put in at a very well known transmission shop in the area my family has used for years.. Price $1900.. Transmission has a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty. It is a rebuilt transmission but has all the latest upgrades designed for towing/hauling. They also replaced my transmission cooler with an aftermarket upgrade to help it run cooler when towing/hauling. I think the dealer price for the motor was overpriced personally seeing as how I can purchase a GM crate motor from Jegs for around $1900. Either way, I would replace the engine and transmission again if it needed it. Love my "Hoe"!