AC Blend Door problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

therealgeronimo

Reaction score
My A/C blend door in my 99 hoe is not moving all the way to the cold position. It is moving but the gears are apparently stripped near full A/C. I can hear it moving and feel the change in temp but it does not get to really cold AC. I have a great charge on refrigerant and the rear air is working fine.

How do I get to the blend door actuator/motor? Also how do I remove the glove box? The previous owner broke the lower left clip and I do not want to break the right side clip and have the glove box not stay on the dash.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have a clue about what this blend door is... - but i have the same problem as you on the A/C rear works good - good charge - hot air in the front - however mine is due to the Compressor not kicking on so mine is something in the system and as soon as i get the money or hot enough to fix it i will.. - but the glove box is Really easy to remove..

This will show you more about that:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/tech-articles2/272657-improve-obs-c.html

therealgeronimo

Reaction score
Well it is not the blend doormotor. I took the motor off and manually moved the door to full ac and to full heat and at full ac had the same problem. Somewhere I have a switch that is not letting freon through the front system as the evaporator is not getting cold or sweating. I am assuming it is an electrical switch.

I checked the pressure on the freon and topped it off. Now the rear is as cold as a polar bear's nipple but still nothing in the front.

I did manage to get the glove box off, and the previous owner did not break it he just didn't put it back on right. He did leave the brain to his in dash DVD behind it though! Does me no good so I took it out.

I can't stand the 100+ heat with no a/c in the front - WTF is the problem. When I find out I will post the solution so maybe GMCYukolade can use the solution.

therealgeronimo

Reaction score
GMCYukolade your compressor has to be working if you have rear air as our trucks only have one compressor for the front and back systems. You should be able to hear your compressor coming on and off. It is located on the top of the accesories that run off the motor with the aluminum tubes coming off of it.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My A/C Compressor will kick on, and stay turning on/off for a little while only after i hook the guage up to it, and put some free-on in it, then it will go off, and i will not hear from it again - mine is due to Probably the pressure switch - maybe the other switch, and i need to replace the orifice tube and drier

therealgeronimo

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of the low pressure switch on the ac system? I called a mechanic and he said to remove and jump it to ground. If I ground it and it starts to work I have found my culprit. It should have a schrader valve behind it to prevent having to capture/replace freon.

therealgeronimo

Reaction score
So I gave up and went to a local GM dealership. I was low on refrigerant, and they charged the system back to 3 lbs and now I have cold A/C. He said the back system will run on lower pressure as it is a smaller system than the one in for the front. I also found out I have a leak on the O ring on my AC compressor :cryin: The GM dealership wants $500 just for the compressor. The good news is I walked out with $0 paid to the dealership.