Advantages/Disadvantages between Tailgate or BarnDoors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerseyjoe1979

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I've been browsing through here for a few weeks now, and I'm learning alot about these cars.

In the market for a 2-door 1998 or 1999 Tahoe, and will purchase one in another year or so. I see that there are some that came with barn doors, and some that came with tailgate. It will factor greatly into my decision on which to purchase.

I would think that the tailgate lets you carry longer cargo, like drywall sheets or studs, and things like that. I would think that the barndoors make it easier for loading and unloading cargo.

I just wanted to get an idea of why you bought yours with barn doors or tailgate, and what some of your experiences have been, so if you can share some with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys.
Joe C.

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a tailgate on my old truck so I was use to it, so when I found my current Tahoe it was exactly what I wanted except for the barn doors. I never had one with the doors and I didn’t think I would like them. Well after seven years I definitely prefer the barn doors. I put stuff (tools, food. pretty much everything) in and out of my Tahoe multiple times a day and the barn doors just make it easier. I’m a carpenter and I have hauled a wide variety of material in it. The only draw back I can think is sometimes when using the rear view mirror the door pillar blocks your view a little, but it’s no big deal once you get use to it you don't really notice it..

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Personally, I like the looks of the liftgate versus the barn doors.
Second, I've driven barn doors in the past and the center section looking in the rearview annoys me.
Another thing I like about the liftgate is that with a longer load (wood beams, long packages, etc) I can just open the glass portion and lay the end of the load on the door rather than having to keep the door open like I would have to on a barndoor model.

NoEcm

Reaction score
Tailgate:
-Advantage: no "post" when viewing through your rear view mirror.
-Disadvantage: you have to reach over the tailgate (or climb on top of) to get to anything in the cargo area.

Barn Doors:
-Advantage: easier access to the cargo area
-Disadvantage: you can see the "post" when using your rear view mirror

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the criteria list for when I bought my Tahoe was barn doors. I wanted the barn doors for 2 reasons:

1. The truck I had before (Ford Bronco) had a tailgate and I disliked crawling over it (this becomes even more of an issue if the truck is lifted.

2. I intended to put a multicarrier bumper on and, IMHO, it works best with barn doors.

footinSD

Reaction score
Tailgate works wonders for hauling loads of lumber/sheetrock etc. I have also seen a few barn doors have issues with the latches not being perfectly aligned which becomes a bit of a pain in the a$$ opening and closing each time.

My opinion... If you intend to haul items longer than 6ft (seats layed down) then the tailgate is the way to go so you dont have to secure the barn doors. Otherwise, whichever one you personally prefer is the way to go.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two large dogs that need to jump in the back twice a week and it's a lot easier for them with the barn doors.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well.. I like the tailgate on my 99 for looks.. i think it just looks better - and the back glass is functional.. (IE: it can open!)...

But, I like the barn doors in my 97 because it is just my go-getter vehicle.. when i need something from the rear.. just open a door and boom i can get it out pretty easy... but, the back windows do not open... and that post can get pretty annoying!

panther5

Reaction score
go with the tailgate, you can haul more and its not like they'r heavy on the tahoes, so basically your not losing anything by not getting the doors

Budreau68

Reaction score
Advantage to Tailgate:
* You can sit on a tailgate, not a barn door.
* You can open the window and retrieve things easily.
* Haul things poking out the back window with the added safety of the tailgate closed
* When you load/unload the back you can set things on the tailgate.

Disadvantage to Tailgate:
* To open the tailgate you have to open the window
* If you drop the window first then slam up the tailagate to close, you'll probably shatter your window.

I had a Trooper II with a 60/40 split rear door. The door was really heavy and cumbersome when opening on a hill to quickly get things in and out. The door had a lock to keep it open, which requires two hands to close (sort of). Not sure if the GM barn doors have that...

Personal preferance, enjoy

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. looks like everyone goes both ways. and i think its up to you big man.. Looks or cargo..

jlcvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone with a tailgate have squeaking from the rear window? I’ve been in suv’s with tailgates and some had an annoying squeak coming from the rear window. I know the S10 blazers did have a problem with this.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone with a tailgate have squeaking from the rear window? I’ve been in suv’s with tailgates and some had an annoying squeak coming from the rear window. I know the S10 blazers did have a problem with this.

Hmm, i dont think mine does, but its a little tough to push up. like idk. it requires some force to get it up then itll stay, but no squeaks.. ?? :confused2:

95ThAHOE

Reaction score
Ive got the tailgate and i like it better than the barndoors, but ive always thought that the back glass should go down into the tailgate like the old ford broncos did. Itd give alot more airflow with the windows open

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brothers blazer Squeaked like a mad man!!! - but every yukon/tahoe i've been in has always been really queit - My back window comes up fairly easy, but when you press it to unlock you gotta tug on it to get it open sometimes - it latches really good (usually this only happens when the subs have been on for an extended time)

jerseyjoe1979

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I appreciate the help, and I will be sure to contribute to the site as I learn more about these cars.

It's going to be the tailgate for me. I'll be sitting on my ass on my tailgate, tailgating at the Philadelphia Eagles games. I'll also be hauling a ton of crap around, with 2x4's hanging out the window, and maybe even some pipes and a ladder. So get your ass out of the way because me and my 'HOE are coming through.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WARNING!~~ DO not break and make sure no one brakes that back window.. a very expensive piece of glass on the tailgate.. costed me 250 bucks for some jap crap one too. the American one was way more then it. i bought a used one in Cali and it got here in Ohio and was 30 min away then broke in the box and shattered into pieces, so i never got to see it, it went straight back to the guy and i got my money back. Luckily. but still..

radimus

Reaction score
I always wanted the barn doors, and now that I have them I don't think I would be so opinionated about it the next time. The door seem blocking the middle of the back view can be annoying, but it is really handy for hitching trailers. Trying to unload with barn doors at the curbside can be tricky if the vehicle parked behind is too close.