Aftermarket Nav/Head Unit Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EchoBravo

Reaction score
I had a Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation radio installed last week. They used the GMOS-LAN-01 interface, which allowed me to keep OnStar functioning, as well as the wiring harness for keeping all of my steering wheel controls.

OnStar and hands-free calling still work, however there's some glitch in the second it takes the system to mute the radio and initialize OnStar or hands-free.

In essence, when you push either of the buttons, the first split-second of audio is clipped. For OnStar, it's not a problem, because that begins with the musical notes. For hands-free though, it sounds horrible.

You get: "...tar ready!" or "...ar ready!"

Is this a known problem with no solution or did my installer get something wrong?

A second question. They first put the nav antenna on my roof, running up through my windshield molding. I made them move it and now it's on my dashboard. The installer claims this antenna can't go underneath the piece of dash trim where the factory nav antenna would go (by the automagic headlights sensor). The install guide also claims the antenna needs to have a view of the sky. So is the factory nav antenna different somehow?

Any guidance greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I put up some pics in the Photos forum and a pic of the antenna install location below. I'm generally pleased with how clean the install is. It looks factory. The niggling issues bug me though.

Last edited:

EchoBravo

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the antenna placement.

web.jpg

KU Tahoe

Reaction score
The antena can go under the dash. I have done many installs that way. Only antena that would have a problem under the dash would be sat radio.