Any ever change a fuel pump on a 1996 4 door Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoEcm

Reaction score
I'm finding conflicting information on the fuel pump that this model uses:

-one says that the fuel pump and the fuel sending unit are seperate parts.

-another says that the fuel pump and sending unit are one piece.

My 1996 Suburban has a seperate fuel pump from the sending unit.

Just wondering if it was the same on my Tahoe?

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed mine last thursday, ended up being the whole encased sending unit. Not the sending unit with the replaceable pump.

My parts guys sent me the wrong pump first and I'll tell you right now you wont like the price!!

Oh and as it turned out the connection for the gray wire had corroded as well as melted a little breaking contact to the pump.

Last edited:

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 98 has the pump and float as one assembly. Wait til you see how tight that plastic tank is in the frame. You unbolt the hangers and the tank still doesn't budge. Drop the driveshaft so you can put your head in the tunnel and swap the pump with the tank hanging in the frame. Trust me.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just don't get banging on it too hard. I was trying to get the retaining ring off and the tank fell out while in the air on the hoist. Yea -- there was no catching it.

NoEcm

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies:

Bowhunter22, was yours a 1996?

The online specs at the parts houses lump the 1996 and 1997 together and it appears that the 1998 is different.

Anyone else here change a fuel pump in a 1996?