Anyone in los angeles??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfryjfry

Reaction score
new here... just got an 08 4.8 tahoe. pretty nice and super clean - 33k miles.

but it has a wierd squeaking from up front that kind of sounds like a belt but i'm pretty certain it isn't. was wondering if there might be someone local who wouldn't mind letting me come over for an hour or so and swap over a few things to try and find the problem in exchange for lunch???

was hoping to swap the tensioner, the idler pulley and maybe some other items if those don't seem to fix our problem.... thanks!

Jeremy

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Sorry, I'm in Virginia...lol. It would probably be easier to get a stethoscope probe tool and touch the mounting bolts for each pully, etc while it is running. You will be able to tell if one of them is squeaking.

Here is what I am talking about

jfryjfry

Reaction score
yeah, i'm not having much luck pinpointing it. and since the dealer had told the po that it is 'normal' and nothing is wrong and it's been doing it forever, i don't know that i'd be able to get it that quick.

i do have another problem now (maybe related) but will start a new thread.

clkelley

Reaction score
Nothing is "normal" about squeaking and or squealing, if the parts are good they won't do that. Sounds like a dealer I would stay away from for sure.

chronoboy

Reaction score
well I'm not from L.A but I will be their the 24th though, my father'n'law owns a shop "J'n'S gears" right next to classic industries in Huntington beach, for a fee he could fig out your problem, he was a mechanic for a Chevy dealership for along time before he started his own business.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before swapping the tensioner, I would look on the side of it to see where the markings are. Usually they have wear guides to let you know when the tension of the spring is weak and needs replacing. Also, get some belt dressing and spray it on the belt to see if the squeaking stops...if it does, its the belt if not then its more than likely a pully somewhere. The stethescope is a good idea and its not expensive at all and you will gain a new tool for the tool box if this should happen again. Lastly, when does the squeaking happen? Start up? gone when warm? When does the squeaking happen?

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Good advice with the belt dressing!

Thanks! It always seems that I learn the hard way or by Expieriencing it first hand. The 3.8 3800 GM motor has many pullies and I was trying to track down a squeeler and it was bugging me. I did the belt dressing, still there, I removed the belts and tried to pinpoint by feel by turning the pulley to see if it was loose (Bearing) or if it was binding up at all. Then I borrowed the Stethescope and thought I heard which Pulley was yelling at me and replaced it, but sqeak squeak.....finally pinpointed it to the idler pulley and replaced it and I was good to go. Sometimes Id rather rip a motor out than to try and find a sqeak or squeal. lol

jfryjfry

Reaction score
yeah, no kidding -- these small, seemingly minor nuisances can be buggers to track down.

i will try the belt dressing.

the noise is there most of the time. doesn't seem to get worse or better with driving, but does seem to disappear usually after driving it for a while. you can't hear it from inside though, so i have to get out to hear it.

Blackest

Reaction score
^^^^ Good advice with the belt dressing!
Seriously, great advice. I pin pointed the noise by running the engine and spraying the dressing on the ac belt and listened as the noise went away. That assured me the belt was bad, secondly I inspected the tensioner to make sure it was not the problem. After all that, replaced the belt and tested it out. Quiet as a mouse!