Anyone Running A Hight Output Alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about upgrading my alternator for a higher output alternator.

The one in my truck is doing fine.. But I have been thinking about upgrading it to a higher amp alternator..

Can anyone suggest a company who makes quailty alternators? Or one that you bring yours to and they will rebuild yours to produce a higher ampage then give you yours back?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year do you have? Probably a 105A, you can get a stock 140A off a rig with rear air IIRC..... You can also get parts to mod to over 200A....

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevy Tahoe

What year do you have? Probably a 105A, you can get a stock 140A off a rig with rear air IIRC..... You can also get parts to mod to over 200A....

I have a 1998 Chevy Tahoe.. I would kinda prefer to just purchase one instead of modifying my current one. This way I know that its done correctly and that I wont have any problems with it etc..

What is the OEM alternator pushing?

What ampage do you recommend?

Would it hurt to get one creating or pushing to much ampage? Or no that it would only cost more?

Would I need to upgrade the alternator wiring to 0 gauge?

I was looking at this one on Ebay: 200 Amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-G-Series-Vans-NEW-Alternator-HIGH-AMP-1998-5-0L-/260547358034?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ATahoe&hash=item3ca9d52d52&vxp=mtr

This Ebay one states this in the ad:

"(will not replace 140Amp and 124Amp versions)"

I was looking at this other company site that states "We are now shipping our newest 250 amp, 300 amp and 350 amp alternators"

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess first question, Why do you want a bigger one?

Second would be what one do you have?

AFAIK OEM alt is 105A with single air, with rear air on some applications it is 140A, I plan on getting a 140A to replace mine with just so I have a little higher capacity for running trailer lights, subs, inverters and such. I have a 95 TBI tho, and AFAIK the power requirements off my systems may be less than that of a Vortec, but IDK for how much.

My 97 Venture has rear air and a 140A alt, I may swap them out....

Even if you dont swap out alts, or only go for the 140A stock unit, I WOULD upgrade the "Big 3" - (Alt to battery, battery to frame, frame to block).

If you do upgrade, especially to one of the 200A+ ones, DEFINITELY upgrade the wiring.

Chaingun

Reaction score
Did you ever end up getting the alternator from ebay or another source? i'm looking at upgrading mine as my monoblock amp is able to draw 150 amps alone....

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really get what you pay for. And with it being something as vital as the electrical system of your truckid suggest powermaster alt or a similar known brand for piece of mind.

Chaingun

Reaction score
I'm running an MTX thunder 1501d, it states right in the install guide that the amp is capable of pulling over 150amps of current, and that's when it's running at 2 ohms. Mine is modded to run at 1 ohm and I want and alternator that will keep up with it, my dual battery setup, and any additional mods i want to make later on. I'll look into those power master alternators today

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look around locally as well. Some automotive shops can beef up the stocker to major output.

Had my old s10 xtreme alt built to 270 amps. Also for added insurance I ran 3 exide purple haze deep cycle dry cells. With 2 Rockford t20001bd's, a Rockford power 600x4, 6 Jl evolution 5 1/2s, 2 clarion tweets and a high preout eclipse deck I had zero voltage loss.

The alt cost me 200 bones. Not a bad deal.