Anyone used the XM antenna to use a Sirius Player?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to use the XM antenna on the roof of the Tahoe to be able to play Sirius instead. Does anyone know what this would involve? I just figured I could buy a Sirius player and use the line coming from the Dash Unit to plug into my Sirius player and up to the Antenna on the roof?

Any ideas? Thank you.

2008Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would work because there is no difference in GPS/Sat antenna impedances. The problem you might run into is the termination of the line. I for one dont know where my XM box is, there are a few different types of connectors. Sirius and XM both usually use a "SMB" connector, an industry standard for micro-coax. GM could I guess use whatever they wanted, especially since the boxes were made just for them. You could always buy a SMB connector yfor whatever coax GM uses and crimp it on.....

here is the SMB connector
image002.jpg

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Denali and my XM tuner is behind the glove box as is the 07 Tahoes because my brother has one. Just pull down your glove box and you will see a silver box thats the tuner. I know because I had to plug my iPod interface into it. Keep me posted on that XM/Sirius conv. I would like to have Sirius instead of XM. Who knows if the merger will ever take place!!

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe's XM antenna is tuned for frequencies of 2.3325 thru2.345 GHz. Sirius frequencies are 2.320 thru 2.3325 GHz. So the antenna will be poorly tuned for Sirius' lower frequencies. You can try it, but expect greatly degraded performance.

2008Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, per the FCC:
SIRIUS FREQUENCY BAND: 2320 to 2332.5 MHZ
XM FREQUENCY BAND: 2332.5 to 2345 MHZ

You might get a bit off loss (maybe a bar?) because your center frequencys dont match, but give it a try and see how it goes. Most of the time when you are up in 2.4GHZ and the recieve only antenna(remember the antenna does NOT transmit and info back to the SAT), the center frequencys go wider than the bandsplit of the system: IE Sirus. Therefore the antenna may pick it up just fine as the 2 companys butt up to eachother.

retsell

Reaction score
It does work, not perfectly, but it does (I have an 06 Duramax w/ sirius using the xm antenna) It will cut out occasionally under trees where the sirius antenna wouldn't, but overall well worth not having the extra antenna on the truck. The connector will work also, you just have to remove the plastic casing around it and plug it directly into the tuner. I just zip tied it to the harness next to it leaving some slack for strain relief. To remove the plastic, If I remember right, just use a small pick tool and pop out the white clip that slides into the side of the connector. Dont tug on the wire, it will break easily.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you guys very much! I may get a player kit this weekend and give it a try. Hopefully it will work, but if not, I guess it is worth a try.