anyone with HID's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was reading this, do any of you still use your 'auto' headlights, or just do manual now??

Tips: 1, turn on the engine first, before turn on the HID kit. 2, don't turn the HID on and off frequently. 3, don't install the HID ballasts and igniters near the engine nor anywhere the water can easily get onto. 4, make sure the connectors of the HID kit is tightened to the stock harness. One or both light can't ignite initially. Bulb turns off after the vehicle just starts. Inspection Procedure: You MUST DISABLE Daytime Running Light or "Auto Switch-On" functions before the HID installation, please click here for more information. HID system requires a steady level of battery voltage of at least 12V initially. "Auto Switch-On" and Daytime Running Light functions draws power from the vehicle battery which causes the HID system to fail to initially ignite. If you have Daytime Running Light, disconnect the fuse or wiring of Daytime Running lights only. Please contact your vehicle dealer/manufacturer for more information. If you have "Auto Switch-On" Headlight function, ensure to switch the function to "Manual Switch-On" headlight mode.

**To avoid further damages, always remember to start your vehicle before turn on the HID system.**

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
Damn, that sounds like entirely too much of a PITA for the conversion. And I Was actually thinking about switching to HIDs too. Meh, time for the KC daylighters....

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actully i would not worry about any of it. I had auto headlights on the 06 with HIDS in the lows, highs , and fogs. were AWSOME!!!!!!! anyway, never disabled any of what is suggested, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISABLE THE DRL'S AS THEY USE A SPERATE BULB, ONLY YUKON YOU NEED TO DISABLE THEM ON ARE 07 AND UP, SINCE THEY USE THE SAME BULB.

but just slap them on and go. Just make sure you dont pause to much when you start the truck. turn the key and start with in 2 seconds or so and the lights never turn on so you dont hurt them, they fire after you have started.

My corvette has stock HIDS that turn on before i start the car, so why would this be any different. Trust me dude, Its not that big of deal to install these, put them on, and go. no need for the other stuff.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actully I would not worry about any of it. I had auto headlights on the 06 with HIDS in the lows, highs , and fogs. were AWSOME!!!!!!!

RT,
In the process of installing 6000 for both LO and HI beams this weekend. I am using a kit that includes the relay. Did you run into any problems with your HIDs when unlocking the vehicle using your remote? I have read that this feature should be disabled.

Currently, I keep my headlight switch on auto -- so in all reality, there shouldn't be any problems (with your experience)?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT,
In the process of installing 6000 for both LO and HI beams this weekend. I am using a kit that includes the relay. Did you run into any problems with your HIDs when unlocking the vehicle using your remote? I have read that this feature should be disabled.

Currently, I keep my headlight switch on auto -- so in all reality, there shouldn't be any problems (with your experience)?

Well i didnt have to worry about that on my 06 as when you unlocked it the DRLS turned on, Not the actual HID low beams. On my corvette (with stock HIDS) It turnes on the HIghbeams when you unlock it, yet for a split second before the engine starts the ballest fire then turn off, so gm wants to avoid ballast damage yet still gets it. But on the same picture, my mothers acadia (with stock bi-xenon) HIDS will turn on the HIDs when you unlock it.

I Personally would not worry about it. IF you get a warrenty, no harm no fowel, just keep your halagon bulbs around.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems with my auto headlights and hids, I usually set the parking brake at any stop tho so the truck starts and then the hids turn on once I pull the brake release. I've had them for a year now and haven't had any issues with them. I put my ballasts next to the radiator next to the headlight housings and they stay nice and clean
IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Pics were taken when I still had the ballasts for my old "6000k" kit installed. Since the new ones were put in the headlight color is almost the same as the fogs (more blue but not too ricey although I may order some 5000k).

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed HIDs (6,000) on both Hi and Lo beams this weekend. It's a project that is not for the faint of heart. Here is what the experience taught (on 2008 LS):

1.If you're just installing HIDs in Lo beams only, it can be done without taking the whole headlight out of the body. I have small hands and it was easy while hubby did not have enough maneuverability.

2.If you're installing any HIDs that include a relay, it's best to suck it up and remove the headlight assembly (includes the whole fender well process).

3.Make sure you tape around the headlights to prevent scratches.

4.If you're installing both Hi and Lo beams, invest in the extra slim ballasts. We didn't do it and we spent lots of time trying to figure out where to mount all four ballasts (two ballasts on the passenger side and two on the driver side). On the passenger side, we ended up installing the ballasts on the underside of the plate that the air filter sits on. The driver side ballasts were installed on top of the plate for the second battery.

5.The length of wire that was provided for both the HIDs and the relays were a hassle to get located exactly right in order to fit properly between all four ballasts. This is what took up the majority of our time.

6.Power was pulled from the box on the firewall. Ground was located on the plate for the second battery.

7.OEM Hi beams have a 90-degree turn in order have enough room to avoid the metal that surrounds the radiator. HID bulbs do not have this turn and the wire itself bends to 90-degrees. It's bothersome but so far so good. I have kept lights on auto with no problems – love this mod!!

WingsAA

Reaction score
Installed HIDs (6,000) on both Hi and Lo beams this weekend. It's a project that is not for the faint of heart. Here is what the experience taught (on 2008 LS):

1.If you're just installing HIDs in Lo beams only, it can be done without taking the whole headlight out of the body. I have small hands and it was easy while hubby did not have enough maneuverability.

2.If you're installing any HIDs that include a relay, it's best to suck it up and remove the headlight assembly (includes the whole fender well process).

3.Make sure you tape around the headlights to prevent scratches.

4.If you're installing both Hi and Lo beams, invest in the extra slim ballasts. We didn't do it and we spent lots of time trying to figure out where to mount all four ballasts (two ballasts on the passenger side and two on the driver side). On the passenger side, we ended up installing the ballasts on the underside of the plate that the air filter sits on. The driver side ballasts were installed on top of the plate for the second battery.

5.The length of wire that was provided for both the HIDs and the relays were a hassle to get located exactly right in order to fit properly between all four ballasts. This is what took up the majority of our time.

6.Power was pulled from the box on the firewall. Ground was located on the plate for the second battery.

7.OEM Hi beams have a 90-degree turn in order have enough room to avoid the metal that surrounds the radiator. HID bulbs do not have this turn and the wire itself bends to 90-degrees. It's bothersome but so far so good. I have kept lights on auto with no problems – love this mod!!

I installed HID's in both High and Low as well and agree that the most difficult aspect is dealing with the length of the harnesses. Any chance of posting up some pics of the harness routing or at least where you tapped the positive connections for the relay's? I have the fogs ready to go in but haven't had the time to carry out the install. :rolleyes:

daxz

Reaction score
was reading this, do any of you still use your 'auto' headlights, or just do manual now??

Tips: 1, turn on the engine first, before turn on the HID kit. 2, don't turn the HID on and off frequently. 3, don't install the HID ballasts and igniters near the engine nor anywhere the water can easily get onto. 4, make sure the connectors of the HID kit is tightened to the stock harness. One or both light can't ignite initially. Bulb turns off after the vehicle just starts. Inspection Procedure: You MUST DISABLE Daytime Running Light or "Auto Switch-On" functions before the HID installation, please click here for more information. HID system requires a steady level of battery voltage of at least 12V initially. "Auto Switch-On" and Daytime Running Light functions draws power from the vehicle battery which causes the HID system to fail to initially ignite. If you have Daytime Running Light, disconnect the fuse or wiring of Daytime Running lights only. Please contact your vehicle dealer/manufacturer for more information. If you have "Auto Switch-On" Headlight function, ensure to switch the function to "Manual Switch-On" headlight mode.

**To avoid further damages, always remember to start your vehicle before turn on the HID system.**

I personally don't agree with any of this.... i have ad HIDS in my highs lows and both sets of fogs and have never had a single problem these are probably the easiest conversion you can do on a Tahoe and ECT they are simply PLUG AND PLAY

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WingsAA -- sorry for the delay -- been doing killer hours at work. Here's a photo of the mount to the firewall.

Attachments

• tahoe terminal block_no flash.jpg
    tahoe terminal block_no flash.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 18

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have more pics?
I want to see what it would look like if I did this mod.
I'd also appreciate it if you tell me how the glare is (if any) and where you got your kits?

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are some more pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/gremicc/HIDs#
I don't have pix of the light output - all I can say is the mod was well worth the effort.

Had to put the passenger-side ballasts underneath the plate that the air filter sits on. The driver-side ballasts were screwed to the top of the plate that appears to be for the second battery. Mounted the grounds to the firewall and tied the relays and wires along the radiator hose.

There's not much room on the passenger side due to the air filter and I was afraid to run the ballasts too close to the radiator. That's why I ended up mounting underneath the air filter plate.

WingsAA

Reaction score
WingsAA -- sorry for the delay -- been doing killer hours at work. Here's a photo of the mount to the firewall.

No worries... I can relate. Thanks for the photos!
Can you PM me the information for where you bought your HID's?

chad_towns

Reaction score
I'm telling you it does goof up the bulbs if you don't diasble the auto-on headlight fixture. When you crank the vehicle it tries to ignite bulb but doesn't have enough juice. Causes the bulb to strobe out. Burned up two bulbs cause of it. Now I jest set e-brake when cranking. But if anyone can tell me how to permanently diasble auto-on feature I would grately appreciate it.

WingsAA

Reaction score
I'm telling you it does goof up the bulbs if you don't diasble the auto-on headlight fixture. When you crank the vehicle it tries to ignite bulb but doesn't have enough juice. Causes the bulb to strobe out. Burned up two bulbs cause of it. Now I jest set e-brake when cranking. But if anyone can tell me how to permanently diasble auto-on feature I would grately appreciate it.

I don't know of a pemanent override but another method, which I use, is to hold the headlight knob to the off position while starting the truck. Once it's running I release the knob.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your having that kind of trouble, I would seriously look at a better quality kit. :thumbsup: I had HIDS in my 06 yukon for over a year and a half. Same ballests and bulbs that got in a front end collision, and same working ones that are now in my silverado. :thumbsup: BTW, mine are from Higher Level Auto. and if that does not show a test of quality, than I dont know what does. :thumbsup:

sfberto

Reaction score
Now as for the relay wire that I am hearing about with regards to HID's. Is it something that is highly recommened or can I do without? I drive a 2004 Yukon SLT and would hate to have any damage done to my baby especially electrical.