AutoRide / Air Suspension...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The theory is to continuously vary the shock dampening dependent upon the awd system to increase stability. On the 03+ trucks I can't really notice a difference since the awd is a bit slower due to the system's dependency on abs tone ring inputs rather than the t-case doing it's job (01-02 trucks used the nvg-149). I'm killing my autoride with either a bcm tune or the aforementioned resistors, more bullsh*t then it's worth IMO.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply boost, that explains it a little better.

So im gonna be replacing the rear shocks this week, would it be a good idea to replace the fronts as well or should they be good?

THOLL223

Reaction score
I replaced my compressor awhile back and now one of my rear shocks is leaking, it has a tear in the bag. Ugh! Not sure if I want to drop another $400 on new shocks. :ack:

THOLL223

Reaction score
I wouldn't. buy some bilsteins and get a few resistors and call it a day.

Don't you have to replace the springs as well? And where exactly do these resistors go and where do I get them? Got any pictures or diagram?

thedude337

Reaction score
I wouldn't. buy some bilsteins and get a few resistors and call it a day.

mine is an 01 tahoe is it the same as the yukons its not awd and can i go with a conversion to eliminate the autoride altogrther and does it have electric on the front also i realy dont know.

whowouldfigga

Reaction score
New alternative for front electronic shocks.

I just came across a website SAE parts that stocks the front electronic shocks at a great price. They are new. The only confusion is on the shock codes. They all look the same but the shock codes are different. Some are code TSF, TSW, CZW and so on. The prices ar at least 50% less than arnott. I ordered two front shocks from arnott at $199.00 each. The code on the shocks they sent me do not match the code on the original shocks that came with the truck. It probably doesn't matter as long as the two codes (left , right) match.

RUkon

Reaction score
Alternative to replacing rear air shocks

I just installed the " AirLift 1000 " kit in the rear coils and left the oem shocks in place, with a little air line adapter they hook right up to the compressor and work great. The price difference is a huge savings. I paid $130 cdn for the kit and under $100 to have them installed. I haul a 12' enclosed trailer daily and these bags work as good if not better than the oem shocks.

Gator68

Reaction score
Hey Rukon, Great idea, I use the airlift bags on my truck for my camper and never had a problem. I think I am going to try this as both my rear air shocks are leaking. A few questions though, you said that the bags work with the existing OEM compressor on the tahoe right? How do you connect the bags to the compressor? Do you leave your existing shocks connected also? What type of adaptor do you need, thanks.

RUkon

Reaction score
Gator, you'll need a 1/8 to 1/4 nylon adapter for the air fittings and lines that come in the kit for the bags. My mechanic suggested leaving the old air shocks in place because they have the sensors in them for air pressure? Not completely sure, but I guess that's what makes them so expensive. The bags hold a lot more air, but when they're full they don't lose any, so the compressor doesn't come on much after the initial fill up. So far no complaints and a stable ride hauling about 500 lb. tongue weight.

warrlac

Reaction score
No BCM tune required -- You're sure about this?

My 01 is equipped with Autoride. It's getting long in the tooth and the Autoride doesn't seem to work anymore. I don't want to deal with bringing it back to life.

Can someone confirm the 25 watt, 3.9 ohm resistor fix? :yesnod:

If this works then I can use ANY shocks I want, right! :thumbsup:

Thanks!
Warrlac

25 watt 3.9 ohm resistors for all four corners

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you sometime this week, my light is finally annoying me so I'm gonna solder those bishes up at work.

hanren

Reaction score
Schematic or parts list

Does anyone have a schematic or parts list for all the components in the air ride system. I'm specifically looking for the parts behind the drivers side wheel. I replaced my compressor last year, but now it looks like one of the valves is broken off the side of the "dryer". Any help is appreciated.

Thanks..

thedude337

Reaction score
how do i installthe resistors and where do i get them from. Please help. Thanks

thats what i would like to know. is that all you do is replace the shocks with some bilstiens and solder up the resistors. if so can you just remove the pump and dryer and all that other stuff. and where do u get resistors at an auto parts store?

and is there a way to diagnose the whole system to see what is wrong. and are the front air powered or are they just electronic dampening. either way this brings me to my next question on bilstiens web site for the 00-04 tahoe they say in the notes that they will not replace the front electronic units, so can u replace the rear and the front still work, how do i know if the front still works.......... i know,.. iknow im a mess.

Last edited: