Baby seat tie down question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that there are only two tie downs for baby seats in the bench seat of my 2007 Tahoe...one in the middle and one behind the passenger seat. Someone told me that putting an infant behind a passenger seat is one of the most unsafe places to put a baby because in an accident, the driver will instinctively drive away from a collision resulting in the passenger side getting hit. Anyone know why Chevy only put child seat tie downs in two seats of the bench and why one is behind the passenger seat...especially considering the designer is a woman, I believe!?!?!?!?

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Latch seats? Not sure why they did that w/ the bench but my Tahoe w/ the two buckets in the middle row has them on both buckets. I have my daughter directly behind me, crappy part is I can't see her :(

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah..there are four metal hooks to tie baby seats to...two on bench behind passenger seat and two in middle seat. Why wouldn't they put one behind the driver side seat so you could have three (hopefully I won't get to that point..heheheh). GM does some stupid sh*t sometimes to save a nickel....

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I buy the whole more dangerous on the passenger side thing. It seems equally safe or dangerous on either side. Even if you swerve to avoid an accident, the direction you swerve is going to be dependent upon the direction the other vehicle is going, not where you are sitting.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed...but why not put tie downs all the way across??

sdoo25

Reaction score
That does seem odd about the latch attachment points in the bench. We've got the 2nd row buckets (both w/latch attachment points) and I just assumed that the bench would have 3 attachment points. What's frustrating for us is the the options in the 3rd row. There is only 1 attachment point on the back of the seats (for the strap that comes from the top of the baby seat) on the driver's side, none on the passenger side. We've got both baby seats in the 3rd row attached to that point on the driver's side. It seems like these designers don't have a lot of common sense sometimes.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of car seats are you guys using, mine use the seat belt, they just go threw the back and you buckle it and BOOM DONE.

sdoo25

Reaction score

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my Fireman brother-in-law the "tie downs" are safer then
using the seat belt through the back of a pre-booster type car seat. I have a bench w/ 2 boys and I never noticed that there was only 2, but I currently only have one child in that type of car seat and I feel it's safer to have him in the middle seat. However, I do have another child on the way and I find this a little dissapointing, since it is easiest for the driver to put a child (especially a baby) in the car seat through the drivers side rather then having to walk around the car.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines

I have wondered this myself, it doesn't make sense the way they did that. I just use a seatbelt strap for the left and latch on the middle and leave the right open so I can fold it for back access. There is no rhyme or reason as to why they did that.

wreckless123

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would bet that they assume your first choice is to put the baby in the middle and if that is not possible you will put the baby behind the passenger seat because behind the drivers seat you cant see him/her..

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the car seats i have in mine are not for infants, i guess thats the difference. the forward faceing. i think my little siblings are 8 and 9 , but i dont remember:ktoe: :lol: yes my parents had a wide spred of kids. 8-9 for the little ones (yes their small) and me and my brother 16 (him) 20 (me) LOL.