Been Gone for Awhile

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry I haven't chimed in on any posts lately they blocked pretty much everything at work. This last Sunday I did a little painting. Bought a 11oz. can of Plasti-cote Black primer and 2 11 oz. cans of Plasti-cote 1599. Ended up painting the Grille, Emblem and the Lower Valance. I also removed the fog lights because the Glass was missing on both of them.

Attachments

• IMG00374.jpg
    IMG00374.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00375.jpg
    IMG00375.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00378.jpg
    IMG00378.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG00384.jpg
    IMG00384.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG00386.jpg
    IMG00386.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 4

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More Pictures

Couple more Pictures

Attachments

• IMG00387.jpg
    IMG00387.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00389.jpg
    IMG00389.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 8

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I caught the bug, I haven't done much to this since I bought it in January so I decided to upgrade a little. Bought a True Flow filter and a box of UNI Airbox Plugs (For a Dirtbike). Drilled 6 1" Holes in the airbox and put the plugs in. Installed the filter. As you can see it was dark so I didn't actually drive it afterward for a butt dyno comparison.

Attachments

• IMG00390.jpg
    IMG00390.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00391.jpg
    IMG00391.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00395.jpg
    IMG00395.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00398.jpg
    IMG00398.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00400.jpg
    IMG00400.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do those air plugs do? Why do you drill holes in the air box and then plug them? I think i missed auto shop class that day! lol

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do those air plugs do? Why do you drill holes in the air box and then plug them? I think i missed auto shop class that day! lol

Instead of buy a full intake kit I figured I could buy a good filter and increase the airflow into the box but still keep water out. These UNI filters are just 1" filters. They are used mostly for dirtbikes, I have used this trick before on my bike. Anyways they keep debris out but let more air through.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a "Cold Air Intake" just puts an exposed filter in the same spot....Whats the difference?

'i hear you on this one! I am not wanting to spend the extra chedder on a CAI when i can just do some home made mods to the air bos and get good results.... I was planning on drilling a 2" or 3" hole in the bottom on the air box and running a "secondary" tube down behind the fog lamp and than running a cone filter there (to keep road junk out) the way i see it, the air box will still be getting its primary air and now adding in a secondary air source that will work GREAT on the freeway

clp71220

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you will not see much of a difference in that location. A hot air intake will cause a vehical to get better gas mileage with a sacrifice in power. But a fuel injected vehical does not benifit form a hot air intake other than to lean the engine a little bit to prevent detonation.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grill looks much better dude :beerchug:

When I told my fiance that I was going to black out everything she was like "Are you sure?" I just had to think back into my brain and remember a picture of your Denali. My reply went something like "Hells ya, it will look awesome!!!"

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'i hear you on this one! I am not wanting to spend the extra chedder on a CAI when i can just do some home made mods to the air bos and get good results.... I was planning on drilling a 2" or 3" hole in the bottom on the air box and running a "secondary" tube down behind the fog lamp and than running a cone filter there (to keep road junk out) the way i see it, the air box will still be getting its primary air and now adding in a secondary air source that will work GREAT on the freeway

I was trying to find a picture of a stock box and found this.

http://chevroletforum.com/m_64028/tm.htm

This might help in your project, if you choose to do so.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for you guys. The stock airbox has a hole in it closer to the toward the firewall on the engine side. There is supposed to be a tube to recirculate exhaust gas right? The tube is not plugged into my box and I can't find it hanging down anywhere. Where does it lead to so I can find it? Thanks

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to find a picture of a stock box and found this.

http://chevroletforum.com/m_64028/tm.htm

This might help in your project, if you choose to do so.

This scares me... i dont think i like the idea of the hole right there for water to get in... it storm like mad in AZ... I was basicly going to do the same thing but run a tube down, i figure a filter coupled with gravity i would have to worry about the water situation.... i dont know, Im going to pull the air box this weekend and get stewin on it, thanks for the post though

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bardy your Tahoe looks good. I usually don't like white vehicles but yours is clean. When you run the pipe straight down you DO run the chance of picking up agua. You could get a package of these little filters ($10) and put a few at the bottom of the airbox so that IF you did suck some up it would be able to drain back out. I just picked up a wiring kit on my way home and I am going to wire my system tonight, or at least start it. I've got a JL 500/1 and 2 JL 12w3s.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bardy your Tahoe looks good. I usually don't like white vehicles but yours is clean. When you run the pipe straight down you DO run the chance of picking up agua. You could get a package of these little filters ($10) and put a few at the bottom of the airbox so that IF you did suck some up it would be able to drain back out. I just picked up a wiring kit on my way home and I am going to wire my system tonight, or at least start it. I've got a JL 500/1 and 2 JL 12w3s.

thanks for the props, i want to keep her clean and simple, i am still throwing a few ideas around, i just debadged her completly this weekend and i am way happy about it, dont know why i didnt do it sooner. I have a couple of older JL 10's that are going under the back seat as soon as i get some power to them.

I think i will pull the air box this weekend and see what i am working with... just dont want to drop $300 on a CAI since i dont plan on racing my truck around much.