been super busy and out a lot of money.. But worth it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People have called me crazy for spending the money I did to get my truck back to 100% health but I can't help it, I really like my truck!

This last week I have done or had done:

Installed new LIM gaskets,
oil change (due to above)
New water pump
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Tire rotation
Alignment
new flowmaster muffler
And thanks to Walmart a new oil pan and drain plug... (at their expense)

A while ago I had a center console dyed and I installed the center console from a gmc denali which had the 6 disc cd changer in it so I need to get the slave cd player out, then I still have a few things to be complete...

1. I need the pocket to replace the slave cd player I want oem style with the felt lined but can't find a nice on in the bone yard and on ebay and amazon they only have the cheaper looking bare plastic ones...
2. I need to find out if my a/c controls are bad or my fan is going out (will ask in tech section)
3. I need to replace my ignition switch wires (have a question on this also in the tech section).
4. New or rebuilt radiator
5. New flowmaster bolt in cats

After these final jobs are done my truck will look and run like new with the exception of a couple small door dings which I will have removed some day...

It has been a week of work and between parts and labor over 1500 in cash.... :(

07burb

Reaction score
Nice job and way to keep the '98 alive!! It's well worth it as those 2 doors are hard to come by these days in solid shape!

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished all.of the needed work. Now it's 99% mechanically new!! After all the new parts and labor I was super excited until I developed a shudder while driving 45-60 mph. Had the tires rebalanced and rotated, had the alignment checked and re checked and a bunch of other things.. no shop could direct me where to look next all of them were baffled. Not one thought to get in to speed and shift into 3rd gear. I did this on my way home today, got it to start it's vibrations and shifted into 3rd out of od, shudder disappeared... shifted back to od and shudder came back. After reading on the forum here I figured my torque converter was having trouble locking up. Read on several different websites and forums for all ages and models and all seemed to point to either replace the converter or try a snake oil called Dr something or other... It was 8.00 so I thought what the heck.. I was told to put this 2 oz tube of "magic" into the trans and drive 10-15 miles so I did. And this little tube did exactly what it promised. After a 20 min drive all shudder is gone and it's actually shifts more smoothly... even if it's just a temp band aid it is really worth the 8 bucks so I can save up for the actual repair....

other than that it's all good and until I feel this issue is resolved then it will have to stay at 99% complete.

Grey2dr

Reaction score
Truck looks good, not overdone, just right. I am trying to keep mine in good mechanical order as well. Did replacing the Idler and Pitman arms make a noticeable difference? I have been thinking about the same parts to try and tighten up my steering.

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it did help alot, I had a lot of play while on the highway or when I hit a water puddle. It was bad enough it would wonder into other lanes... installed the idler and pitman arms and got an alignment and it's pretty tight again!

And thank you on the compliment! I really like this truck alot and don't want to change it much more. I have only fixed the bad stuff, added factory painted fender flares and thinking of a 3 inch lift... Not sure on the lift yet.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to do the Rag joint on my 'hoe besides the idler arm, pitman arm, and idler bracket.... Also ball joints and control arm bushings (had a couple that had rotted out.....)

Grey2dr

Reaction score
I don't plan to alter mine much either, I like the factory look. Been looking for some older wheels to fill out the fender wells a little more, that will likely be the most I do visually. I have been thinking about the same repairs you and lesterl did, I think I just need to bit the bullet and do it.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rag joint was a Dorman product at Autozone IIRC and you drilled out the rivets and throw away the hardware they send with and buy some bolts from the hardware store to use.....