Blend door actuator or controller issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twbauer

Reaction score
OK guys... looking for a bit of help here. I have a 05 Yukon XL Denali. As many other people, I am also having climate control / air conditioning problems. I can only get the air to blow through the defrost vents by the windshield no matter what vent setting the climate control panel is set to. This problem was first encountered about a year ago when I changed the battery in the vehicle. We actually got things working again by removing the climate control panel (below the radio) and unplugged and replugged the 2 harnesses. Bingo.. things started working again.

I recently put in an aftermarket double din Kenwood Nav system. In working through the install, I removed the negative battery lead multiple times, and sure enough the problem showed up again. (Blowing air through defrost vents only) I was able to fix it one time with the procedure I indicated above (unplug and replug the climate control harnesses), but I no longer can get that to work. I tried pulling the HVAC fuses as other posts have indicated, wait 10 seconds, and then turn the vehicle to ACC for about a minute. That didn't seem to work.

I read a bunch of posts about the actuator motors being bad, so I picked one up at an auto parts store. I didn't know which actuator was the issue. I started with the one under the passenger side dash (under the hush cover). This apparently was the wrong one :). I then found the other actuator (the correct one) under the drivers side dash up to the right of the gas pedal. I removed that actuator, and was able to manually turn the vent arm to change the vents that the air blows out. So.. for the time being, until I figure this out, the wife and 4 kids won't bake in the vehicle.

I noticed that even with the actuator removed from the vent assembly, when I changed the position of the climate control to defrost vents, top vents, lower vents, etc... the actuator did NOT move. I then tried plugging in the NEW actuator that I got from the auto parts store. Just like the existing actuators in BOTH locations, when the vehicle had power going to the HVAC system the actuator was moved from just below the lowest setting to the lowest setting, and then back BELOW the lowest setting. It seems to me that it's somehow not getting initialized correctly as both actuators "resting position" is slightly below the lowest position no matter what vent position setting the climate control is set to. I hope that makes sense.

I think I have convinced myself the actuators are not bad. Anyone agree, or think I'm crazy? So, I'm wondering if the consensus here is that the climate control panel is bad? Any way to verify this??? Is there another procedure for initializing the system? Thanks in advance for the assistance!!!

ExTankerGuy

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue. When I first start my Tahoe, the air will blow from the dash vents. After a few seconds, the air goes back to the defrost vents.

Any suggestions? And yes this started after a battery change.

Thanks in advance!

doasc

Reaction score
A possibility that the battery change could have resulted in a re-calibration and if you touched the HVAC controls it may have corrupted that calibration. It might be worth re-calibrating (simple enough).

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...temperature-valve-actuator-replacement-22624/

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control module while the HVAC control module is self-calibrating. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

Alternate Method (w/o Scan Tool)

Clear all DTCs.
Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Install the HVAC actuator.
Connect all previously disconnected components.
Remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.
Install the HVAC/ECAS fuse.
Start the vehicle.
Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.

chebrolet

Reaction score
HVAC Mode Actuator

I know this is an OLD thread, but I've removed the Mode Actuator (above the gas pedal) and can't align it properly now. Is there a trick? Do I move the geared lever towards the rear of the vehicle and then let it fall forward to touch the rear edge of the geared cam on the actuator? Just exactly how do the geared lever and cam match up? Fully/tooth for tooth or partially? I really wish I had taken pics before!

The other lever, the one with the post that rides in the inner slot, seems to only move when the first geared lever is pulled to the rear of the vehicle. VERY frustrating, cramped, and have NO pics or instructions on how to correctly install the actuator. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!