Blown head gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
What are the chances that with a blown head gasket the fluid that gets into the cylinders cause the motor not to crank due to the pressure? And what are the chances of having a cracked block or head also?

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are pretty good that a blown head gasket could allow coolant to enter cylinder and not to crank. Pull the plugs and check for wet. With the plugs out crank the engine over to clear coolant from cylinder. Put the plugs back in and crank while watching fluids in rad. You may well see evidence that compression is getting into the water jackets. As a rule of thumb (and all rules have exceptions) heads crack from overheating and blocks crack from freezing. Any history of either?
Regards
Tom G.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
never over heated, never frozen. But there was an extreme amount of smoke coming out of the pipes just before the motor shut off. but still no over heating.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke? I'd do a compression test on each hole to determine which one (s) is the likely candidate. My guess would be a blown head gasket, but I would have a really good look at the head gasket when I got it out to make sure that it was the gasket and not the head. If I wasn't positive I would have the head magna fluxed or whatever to look for cracks. Changing head gaskets should keep you amused for a Saturday.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'm gonna pull the heads off tomorrow and do the gaskets. And I guess my best bet would be to just buy heads, or plan on having these refreshed.

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
if so before u take the head off check ir intake manifold gasket those are known to leak, i had the same problem and just fixed it this weekend, and the smoke could be to much gas or coolant in the motor, check engine light on?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the chances that with a blown head gasket the fluid that gets into the cylinders cause the motor not to crank due to the pressure? And what are the chances of having a cracked block or head also?

If the block never froze or overheated, odds are that you have a blown head gasket. How many miles are on the engine? It would be a good time to refresh the heads if your engine is tired.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
well, as it turns out, and this is my luck, the block is siezed, plugs are pulled and the motor won't go anywhere. time for a new motor. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cosider this for whatever it's worth. I once saw a guys pour Rust Check down the cylinders of a siezed engine, left it for a day, came back started it up and drove it for over a year (and maybe longer, I moved) with no problem. Mind you it was a 265 inline chev. BUT?? What is the downside, if it works you've ought some time, if not you've lost the price of a couple of cans of Rust Check. Next question, who sells Rust Check now.
Here is their site: http://www.rustcheck.com/
Hope this helps, new engines are not cheap.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cosider this for whatever it's worth. I once saw a guys pour Rust Check down the cylinders of a siezed engine, left it for a day, came back started it up and drove it for over a year (and maybe longer, I moved) with no problem. Mind you it was a 265 inline chev. BUT?? What is the downside, if it works you've ought some time, if not you've lost the price of a couple of cans of Rust Check. Next question, who sells Rust Check now.
Here is their site: http://www.rustcheck.com/
Hope this helps, new engines are not cheap.

I've also heard of using ATF or Marvel Mystery oil for this.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
Well I'm absolutely gonna try the rustcheck, just like you said, never hurts to try. And I've also found another motor, the stock vortec 5.7 with 4,000 miles on it, and the guy wants $1200, which seems like a tremendous deal, so I'm probably just gonna save myself any hassle later and jump on that deal.