Brake system flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing that my brake pedal is getting a little spongy, so I'm wondering if flushing the brake fluid might be a good idea. I've never done it but it looks easy enough. Is there anything in particular to look out for on a Tahoe/Yukon? Is there anything specific that I need to do with the ABS system, or can I just bleed and refill like you normally would?

andiamo

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe and I was also noticing the brake pedal getting pretty soft. My sister-in-law has a 2005 Z51 Suburban and the brake pedal on her truck feels noticeably more solid. A few weeks ago I attempted to exchange all of the brake fluid in the system with new stuff. The pedal now feels a little better, but still not up to my sister-in-law's truck. I'm now wondering if the master cylinder needs replaced. Since I bought my truck used 2 years ago, I don't know what it felt like brand new. I wonder if the brake lines need replaced as well.

Does anyone know of anyone that sells the stainless steel braided lines?

To answer your question though, I didn't have any issues with the ABS. I used a vacuum pump from Sears to suck the old fluid out of each caliper. Good luck.

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bleed the each of the lines and I notice a differance in the pedel it was a lot more stiffer,and the stuff that came out look like 2 cycle gas that was a blueish green! I replaced it with snythic brake fluid! No problems with the ABS! For SS brake lines you could try look at ebay you could find them on there for decent price.

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most important thing to remember is to not let the mast go dry. If the master goes dry you'll get air in the system. Once air is in the system you'll need a TechII to cycle the ABS unit to get the air out. Pain in the A$$.

Bleed in this order:
Pass Rear
Driver Rear
Pass Front
Driver Front

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anyone that sells the stainless steel braided lines?

1. Goodridge
2. Russell Performance

Speed Bleeders from Russell also make for an easy 1 person bleeding/flushing job.

Last edited:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russell makes good lines for these trucks, switching to a powerslot rotor and better pads will dramatically increase pedal feel and braking performance.

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you would need new lines unless they are damaged or rusted away.

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you would need new lines unless they are damaged or rusted away.

Replacing the last section of rubber line with braided steel lines can help pedal feel. The rubber ones can bulge and you get a perceived loss of braking feel.
I put them on my GTO and noticed a bit of improvement but not worth it on the hoe.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What Radkon said. You want all the force of the fluid going towards the pads, not bulging out the stock rubber line.

I used to have an 89 IROC-Z that I installed Baer brakes on about 10 years ago. At that time, the consensus was that the 2 major items you could replace to greatly improve braking performance was the rubber lines with stainless steel lines and the stock fluid with high performace fluid, such as Castrol's.

Replacing the rotors and pads with quality ones did improve braking, but with today's high quality pads having little gassing, slotted and cross-drilled options were really more for looks than anything. My research is a decade old and the facts could be slightly different today.

I put them on my GTO and noticed a bit of improvement but not worth it on the hoe.

I think replacing these items on a truck as heavy as ours makes just as much sense as replacing them on a high performance street car.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stainless lines help immensely on these trucks, definitely worth the monies IMO.