brakes grabbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bebop

Reaction score
When I'm at idle speed, especially if the truck has been sitting for several hours, and I lightly touch the brakes, they grab really hard and basically try to lock up. I know this is common after it has rained and there is some light rust, but that is not the case. Pads and rotors look good. It really seems to only do it when the brakes are cold. It feels like it's the front brakes. It's kinda embarrising because the truck just come's to an instant dead stop and people look at me like i'm some sort of moron that can't drive. :shy: Any ideas out there?

footinSD

Reaction score
Mine were doing the same not too long ago. How old are the brakes? The issue with mine was the material as they couldnt turn the rotors or anything and had to do a full replacement.

Good Luck...

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its fairly common for the hoe's brakes to pulsate (feels like they're trying to lock up) on a cold start, first pedal push. Not too sure why, but it's been discussed here before. Mine has done it since I bought it. That's the only time it happens.

bebop

Reaction score
I ended up bringing it in and the mechanic said they needed to be adjusted. I tried doing the "going in revers method" several times, but he said they were so far out it didn't work. Apparently, the brakes are energized so the father they have to travel, the harder they're going to hit the rotor. Anyway, they are fixed now and there is much less pedal travel also.