"Break In" the new tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vkuber

Reaction score
I got my tahoe in, and going to be taking it to California tonight or tomorrow morning. It has less then 300 miles on it, and would it be a bad thing for me to drive it to Cali with only that many miles in it? I know not to just go straight on the highway and keep it at the same speed, but keep switching the speeds up, so it does its thing. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know that 200 miles is for the brakes and the lubrication to break in, but 500 is the *official* break in for the engine and tranny, just no hard accelriatons and full throttle starts and vary your speed, also dont tow anything.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a max speed you should observe for the first, I think, 1000 miles. Your manual lists that speed.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is suggested when breaking in a new engine to drive it in such a way that the speed and rpm's vary so that the rings seat properly. In other words bring the rpm's up, (not to redline), and let them come down without using the brake. I'm not saying to drive erratically, just dont drive at a steady speed for an extended length of time. I know this sounds weird but its a sure way to eliminate problems later.
I dont know that I would go on a trip with 70 miles on it. Give it a chance for the rings to make a home within the cylinder walls.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, definately change the speed up on the way, you don't want to wear in a groove in the engine. You should probably put a sign on the back saying its a new car and to exscuse the erratic driving ;). :Chevy:

vkuber

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I just got the dual flow master 40 series on it tonight, and boy oh boy does it make heads turn. First night with the tahoe, and I am already in love. The miles are at 118 now, from 64 today. I think of waiting 1 more night, and leave friday morning.

White Out

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Just vary your speed and you will be good.

Drove a STi from St. Louis, MO to Grand Rapids, MI on an engine with 50 miles. Just varied the speed and downshifted from time to time.

Nick