Broken rear seat latch ? ? ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the 18th letter

Reaction score
:confused2: 99 Yukon 4 door.. The release mechanism to fold the seat down on the 60 side broke off. I can't even get in there with needle nose pliers to pull the latch. What can I POSSIBLY do??

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get it with the pliars, and once you have you can rig it to where it never latches again, (mine done the same exact thing) so now, it just doesn't latch.. which is fine

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I can't even feel where the wire is!!! If you figure something out please post!!!!

the 18th letter

Reaction score
you can get it with the pliars, and once you have you can rig it to where it never latches again, (mine done the same exact thing) so now, it just doesn't latch.. which is fine

Tried with needle nose and still couldn't catch it. I'll try some with a longer needle, but it's deep enough where I can't really see what I'm trying to grab, but if I get it out how'd you rig it so it doesn't latch any longer?

Last edited:

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is a spring, or something, i just removed the peice with the latch on it

96tahoeproject

Reaction score
One Question - Two issues:

My question is... Are you talking about the single or double seat?

1st issue:

My latch was broken on the double seat...

I was able to use a long flathead screwdriver to push down on a piece of metal with a spring attached to it.

It was located between the two seatbelts. I had to shine a light to see then used the screwdriver to push down on the metal piece. It released the seat and I was able to lift it to see the latch. Full of rust, I hit it hard with WD-40.

The spring is broken so it will not be latching again. I am ok with that for now.

2nd issue:

Now that I have the seat lifted, I cannot lay the back seat down. It is also full of rust on the hinges, which I hit with WD-40. Is there a latch somewhere?

The single seat works fine.

Thanks in advance and hope this helps someone else.

wh134802

Reaction score
I have a Solution to the rear seat latch not working

I have a 1997 Tahoe 5.7L 4 Door with the 60/40 rear seating.

The cable which releases the rear seat to drop down broke and the 60 seat would not fold down.

From behind the seat you will see a small opening where the seat meets the floor carpet. Take a flashlight and a flat head screw driver and push on the latch which will release the seat. I used a second driver to wedge the seat up so I could see in there and find the release latch. Then my tool (flat head driver) to push on the release latch.

I tried for about an hour to address the problem from the front looking at the assembly. But then realised I could see the actual latch from the small opening in the back of the Tahoe.

Hope this helps someone out there

-W

WisYukon

Reaction score
I just feel with my finger through the seatbelt hole for the latch. Then just push the spring loaded catch and pull the seat up. Just kinda feel around and push on things with your finger until you feel something give...you'll find it. As for the rear section not folding, there is a cable that is engaged by the bottom seat when it's folded. It's located in the middle (right leg for the larger seat) of the seat at the floor. If your rear section isn't folding, that's the cable to check.

LarryPD

Reaction score
60/40 rear seat release cable

Does anyone know where to purchase the broken release cable for the 60% rear seat? Website? Part number?
Thanks

hbarlow

Reaction score
I have an 05 Tahoe and the bracket that secures the rear seats to the floor has broke. Does anyone know where I can get replacements or if I have to get a whole new seat?