"Bumpy" sharp turning, as if 4WD is on - plus poor running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoobey

Reaction score
Hi, guys. My '00Z71 (ie, a late '99) is acting funny. Two issues:

1) When I make a sharp turn, it "bumps" as if it's going over small potholes, or as if the 4WD is on (when it's really in 2Hi). Is this normal and I just never noticed it before, or a possible problem?

2) Lately, it's a little hard to start -- used to fire right up, now needs to crank a second or two. Also, I think mileage is down 1 or 2 mpg. I need to drive daughter 300 mi to college on Sunday, so can't undertake anything major. Any suggestions for quick things to check out/fix/replace/pour into my 'hoe that might help?

Thanks!

clkelley

Reaction score
I would recommend cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body, possibly replacing the air filter as well. If that doesn't fix the hard start then move to other regular maintenance items like the fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc. Most hard starts can be attributed to the need for regular maintenance.

As for the turning issue, you need to inspect the steering linkages under the front of the truck. With the engine running but in park, climb under the truck and get someone to turn the wheel while you watch the linkage, if it moves up and down AT ALL, then you need new idler and pitman arms. You will also want to double check the level of the gear lube in the differentials and the lube in the transfer case. If these are low then that could cause some binding when turning tight.