Buying or "Replacing" my Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rragan202

Reaction score
I have a 1997 tahoe sport with 142,000 on it, i have recently been looking around and have seen some very nice 1999 tahoe sports for sale with lower mileage. But i have never had any issues with my tahoe EVER! i dont know if it would be worth taking the risk or getting rid of it. But i have heard that the 1998 - 1999 tahoes are better....... what do yall think?

rragan202

Reaction score
well i was looking for something stock like mine and a 1998 or 1999, thanks though.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. I don't think their are even any differences in the 1998 and 1999 Tahoes/Yukons than the 1996 and 1997. If there are any differences, I'm sure they are so marginal that it would not justify buying one if you already have a '96 or '97 that is running great.

Sport99

Reaction score
If you have a great tahoe sport now, why mess up a good thing??? I think the only real upgrade you'll find is the auto 4wd transmission available in 1999. Even so I never use the auto 4wd setting, I just keep it in 2 wheel drive, and engage the 4wd when needed.

I'm not sure weather your 97 has push button 4wd, but thats the only real upgrade I can see. In my opinion stick with the 97, its not any different, and if its in great shape you'll be pretty upset if you sell it and get into a truck that needs a bunch of work.

bai78

Reaction score
Here are the upgrades from your year model to '99:

1997 - Standard passenger-side air bag; speed-sensitive steering; increased trailer-hitch rating to 2270 kg. (5000 lb.); improved turning radius on 4x4 models

1998 - New Comfort and Security package (includes heated seats, 6-way power seat adjusters, outside mirrors with defogger and electrochromic glass, and Homelink 3-channel transmitter); Autotrac all-wheel drive system; and outside temperature readout added to inside rearview mirror

1999 - PASSLock security system full functional after ignition has been turned off; Auto trac offers new "state of the art" automatic 4-wheel drive technology; 4-wheel-drive front axle actuator engages/disengages front axle electronically, and decreases engagement/ disengagement time to two seconds or less; new starter motor provides longer starter motor life cycle and improves corrosion resistance

IMHO if your Hoe is prestine than you shouldn't bother unless you are considering a NBS or NNBS for the LS engine & upgraded technology/features.

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
yea if ur gonna upgrade then upgrade to gmt-800 which is the 2000's and up, if you have no problems ur lucky, and dont bother getting rid of it