bypass for dvd playback in dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007TahoeLTZ4x4-

Yeah I'm sure it is more than just a box with a spliced wire in it, I'm exaggerating a bit to make my point, point being that there may be a more simple way around this complex interface with all the harnesses passing through it. If what the other dude said about grounding the wire is true, which I had heard does work on some other vehicles, then it would prove that some of the fancy complex circuitry in there is somewhat unnecessary. Indeed if it was just a wire then people wouldn't be having the reliability issues that some have reported. Sorry I can't remember an example, but I have seen before where a product has disguised a simple mechanism as a complicated, expensive, and secret proprietary device. Also, I know the Lockpick has other uses, like the multiple inputs, but I'm sure that can also be replicated with a splice and switch type modification. With that said, you are still absolutely correct in what you're saying, and I hope my explanation makes sense. I'm impressed and recognize that you have a good understanding of this particular device, much more than I do. This is coming from a guy who usually understands everything he looks at- I started working on car mechanicals and electronics at a very young age, but I know that a lot has surpassed me since I stopped being so involved with it years ago. So if you have any more info on this device I'd actually be very interested in learning more about it.

So has anyone tried the green wire thing yet? I want to but have a list of mods still ahead of this one. Everybody loves a guinea pig. Who's gonna take one for the team?

Last edited:

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries I knew you were exaggerating. Before I bought my lockpick I thought of a million ways that I could make my own lockpick before being price gouged by costal tech. I went ahead and just bought one because I didn't want to go through all the mess of decoding how the car talks to the nav unit and so on. That said however, I
think it is very possible to make your own and make a nice chunk of change with the end product.

I highly doubt that the green wire thing will work. The only thing I could thing of splicing it to would be the GMLAN wire which like i said has to be connected for it to boot. A switch or maybe a relay might work but I wouldnt want to mess up my unit.

BlackDog PM me if you want and I can tell you some ideas of how to perhaps build your own. I'm a little busy with school and don't really have time to make my own.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if another has opened one of the bypass devices to take a look inside?

I wish there was a quick simple fix. All I need is the in-dash DVD to play when driving. You can keep all the other features. :D

Last edited:

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will pop mine open tonight...I bet its just a small chip and not much else except for wiring. I think it would be fairly easy to reverse engineer.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thanks man, I'll hit you up whenever I have time to get into it.

SAUDILTZTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the following solution? I got it form http://www.fixya.com/support/t218990-watch_dvd_dash_monitor_while_driving

1: Go into AM/FM mode
2: Hit "setup" on the remote control
3: Enter 543210 on the remote, listening for the beep for each number entered
4: A new menu will appear. Touch the button that has the hammer/screwdriver on it in the upper left-hand part of the screen.
5: Select Brake bypass to "ON" and hit the "X" near the bottom of the screen.
6: Use the unit wisely and above all safely. A ticket is one thing, causing a fatal accident due to negligence is another.
(YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HOOK UP THE EBRAKE WIRE)

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what button on the remote is the "SETUP" function??

and I thought the remote only controlled the rear system?

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys ive been having problems with my camera loading onto my computer im obrrowing my buddys camera tomorrow just to take pics of this thing so hopefully ill be able to get them up tomorrow if now the next

i think the instructions saudi posted are for a jensen dvd unit obviously they wont work for yall

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here you go...mind you this was without a flash because the flash on his camera was waay to bright and you couldnt really see anything

CIMG0366.jpg

im curious as to what the 3 jumpers at the top are for??? anyone bold enough to try?

randyp

Reaction score
ok here you go...mind you this was without a flash because the flash on his camera was waay to bright and you couldnt really see anything

im curious as to what the 3 jumpers at the top are for??? anyone bold enough to try?

It may just be header to attach a cable for initial programming and turn-on. We use those on our boards and you definitely wouldn't want to put a 'jumper' on them.
I wonder what silicon the large QFP in the center is.

2007TahoeLTZ4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see thats what i thought too but in person you can kinda see that theyre each little separate 2 pronged things so thats why i thought maybe it was a jumper

id like to see just a gen4 lockpick opened up to see the differences

08 Denali

Reaction score
Looks like some B.S. info from the fixya site. Anyone with sucess bypassing in motion shutoff, or r we bound to purchase the lockpick? Boy would my wife love to watch a movie in the FRONT seat !!!

Last edited:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy her a portable DVD player w/ an 8" screen. Cheaper than a lockpick. Or just take a laptop.

08 Denali

Reaction score
Ok, I couldnt wait, I next day-aired the Gen 4 Lockpick AND the Ipod lockpick from Coastaletech. I gotta tell you, as far as my experience with Coastaletech, they were great!!! Answered all my questions and addressed all my concerns. I installed BOTH items in under 25 minutes, and both work FANTASTIC!!! By far, the easiest mods I have ever done on a vehicle that I owned.
Now, wifey can watch her movies in the front seat if so desired, and I'm a hero (UNTIL THE NEXT PROBLEM...)

DUBBIN' 22''$

Reaction score
are there any tricks to keep the factory nav/dvd playing while in drive. Personally i've no intrest in driving and watching but the wife would like to see what's going on. thanks for any advice

hey man there should be a parking wire in the back of the dvd player, and you have to connect it in with the ground wires and it will work.

SIGNGUY

Reaction score
Hello! I am a new mwmber here and came in here specificly for this info :)
I just bought an 07 Yukon and I too want the DVD to play while driving...
I noticed that this thread ended about a month ago without any real conclusion...
Any new news on how to do this short of spending the $250+ ?
Thanx Guys!

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUBBIN' 22''$ said.....hey man there should be a parking wire in the back of the dvd player, and you have to connect it in with the ground wires and it will work.
Has any one tried this and does it work. Would certainly be the cheaper route