California emissions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Oklahoma, my 99 tahoe is from Arizona I've looked up all my rpo codes once and kept seeing california emissions related stuff like "test for california emissions" "bypass california emissions"

does any of that mean I have it?

I do have a wicked complicated setup of tubes pumps and wires on the drivers side in front of the pcm, all evap related I think but much more complicated looking evap stuff than I've ever seen. I also have some kind of annoying whiny pump up there with that stuff that comes on for 30-45 secs when I first start up. I've never seen or I guess heard anything like that on any other car.

If I do have it, is any of it hurting me in any way? If what I know of california's methods of being "green" are close to true they'd probably rather you burn twice as much gas for half as dirty exhaust.

What's the pump? can I disconnect that crap? It's really annoying and my vehicular-self-consciousness makes me think people are laughing at me in parking lots because it sounds like I have some screwed up power steering pump or something.

edit: some of my codes are:
NC7 emission override federal system
YA7 test emission system california assembly line
NC1 emission system california lev
YF5 certification emission california

We haven't had vehicle inspections here in OK for something like 7 years btw.

Last edited:

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is for the air injection system. Mine has it too. It blows air into the headers on start up to help with emissions. You can just unplug it and remove all of the tubes and crap and cap the holes on the headers. I believe the system is stand alone and won't throw any codes.

The EVAP canister is the thing to the left of the air pump.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fantastic news... Are you sure this is standalone? I'd like to ditch mine to use the spot for a second battery.

Also, if the air pump is activated during startup... I'm sure it effects the O2 readings right? So... will it still be fine w/o it?

Thanks!

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just disconnected the pump last night, no check engine light after running 5 minutes in my driveway, I'll see what happens.

Was very nice to start it up and not hear that thing.

I don't think O2 sensors are even read until you get to operating temp/closed loop mode.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll find that if you do have an O2 sensor problem, it usually shows it's face on the highway.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AHHH!! Only took about 10 minutes of driving with that thing disconnected and I got a service engine light, code p0410 secondary air injection system failure.

the pump is really annoying and I'm considering just leaving it unplugged, but I had a constant-on ses light on my old car (egr deleted) and that kinda sucked having to regularly plug in my scanner to see if there were any new problems.

arkain04

Reaction score
Yes I know this thread is 5 yrs old but is there a fix to the code popping issue.
Programmer? PCM recall? I got a HT 383e on the way, headers high flow cats an other stuff in the garage and don't want all this crap in the engine bay or codes flashing.
I went through numerous searches an hr or better no info?

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
due to emissions related stuff, you will not be able to bypass it factory wise, but if you get an aftermarket programmer then you might be able to convince the pcm to bypass it but it will take a toll on your catalytic converters and also o2 sensors.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would O2's suffer with the AIR stuff taken off? For that matter the CATS are just more efficient with the Air Injection Reaction stuff on there AFAIK.....