Can spark plug gap affect mpgs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mongo

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Suburban and just changed out the AC Delco spark plugs. I gapped the new Autolite platiunum plugs to .60 as stated in the owners manual and repair manual. However, the plugs I pulled out were gapped at about .50 to .53, the 2004 spec. Now, I've lost about 3-4 mpgs on my driving. Does the spark plug gap affect the fuel efficiency that much? Should I pull the plugs and gap them to the 2004 spec? I also changed out the AC Delco fuel filter with a WIC fuel filter. If anything, I expected the mpgs to improve NOT worsen. Any thoughts on this anybody? Thanks!

Last edited:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably should have stuck w/ AC Delco plugs gapped at the recommended gap. For whatever reason, current electronic ignition systems are sensitive to plug brand.

Put some Bosch platinum plugs in a Dodge minivan once and mileage and power fell off. Replaced w/ some new Champions which it came with and everything was fine. And the platinum electrode on the Bosch was completely burned away down to the insulator after about 1K miles.

Mongo

Reaction score
Interesting...thanks! The AC Delco plugs weren't gapped to the recommend gap though. They were gapped to about .50-.53 whereas the recommended gap is .60. Will I make things worse if I pull the plugs and regap them to .53?

Probably should have stuck w/ AC Delco plugs gapped at the recommended gap. For whatever reason, current electronic ignition systems are sensitive to plug brand.

Put some Bosch platinum plugs in a Dodge minivan once and mileage and power fell off. Replaced w/ some new Champions which it came with and everything was fine. And the platinum electrode on the Bosch was completely burned away down to the insulator after about 1K miles.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would suggest gapping to .04 inches. GM revised their specs to .04 since the original .06.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You will be surprised the difference that a gap change can make!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can absolutely affect mpg, and performance, efficiency. It can only be gapped correctly or it gets worse from there. Too little gap is like muting it and too much is like misfiring. If you're not adjusting it in consideration of the ignition system, combustion chamber, fuel induction and things like that then you should probably just go with the plugs recommendation.

MRGREG5000

Reaction score
I only use ngk plugs in my hoe.....ngk makes ac delco plugs and ac delco robs you compared to the ngk equivelent......use ngk tr55 gapped to .40

KarenCaren

Reaction score
Wow. that gap changes a lot in mpg. Thanks for giving me the info about the gap. When I change mine I will definitely go for 0.40 gap.

MRGREG5000

Reaction score
Spark plug type and gap

For years the debate has been to use ac delco or not to use ac delco........first and foremost ac delco is made and manufactured by ngk.......why buy ac delco when the same plug ngk makes is 1/3 of the price.......ac delco is almost 50.00 a set of 8 for my 99 tahoe.....ngk same plug .....19 dollars and change.......dont be fooled buy people who say only use ac delco......do some research and youll see the truth.....and some tahoes came with ngk from the factory depending where they were assembled......now chevy used to state ....gap the plug at .60.......it even says that under my hood on a sticker.....but now chevy changed it to .40,,,,,,,the .60 gap makes a tahoe idle ruff.....the idea is that the bigger the gap you can go with a smmoth idle than the better performance youll get......but less mpg.....the closest more mpg less power.......you can gap the ngk to .50 if your tahoe runs smoothly......i gap mine to .40,,,,,,,ngk plugs are pregapped to .40 and you just make sure they are.....now ..........the ngk plug you want is .....ngk tr5.....or ngk tr55........the tr55 is a hotter plug.....better mpg with tr5....i have tr5 gapped at .40,,,,,,good power and mpg......good luck and dony pay 50.00 for 8 spark plugs because they say ac delco..........OH YEAH .....DONT EVER USE BOSCH....CHAMPION....IF YOU WANT TO BE DIFFICULT YO CAN USE AUTOLIGHT IF YOUR IN A JAM, BUT NGK....NGK...NGK...NGK...NGK...

Last edited:

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there a such thing as high performance spark plugs!??? (i need a tune up asap on my 07 hoe.) what are some good sparkplugs???? How much would a tuneup be??

MRGREG5000

Reaction score
TUNE UP

Ok first of all you need to read the post just above yours.......as i stated before......ngk makes iridium plugs......not sure of the part number lkike tr5...or tr55.......the iridium is your high performance plug for the tahoe.......tr5 great replacement plug.....and tr55 a little better for performance.....all in all said go with ngk plugs.....depending on what kind of performance you are looking for.........;good luck......other than that you might want to change your plug wires with msd wires......and a new cap and rotor....msd...you can use ac delco stuff if you prefer but for the same money u can get better stuff...........good luck dude.....